Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

speyerk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Kapolei Hawaii
Trying to get a handle on how many Hawaii folks on BYC. I live in Leeward O'ahu and would like to know other people here that do the BYC thing. Would be nice to have a Hawaii community to bounce ideas and resources around with.

Aloha,

Kevin

Hi, I'm on Oahu, Moanalua area. I am a newbie though... Don't have my chicks yet. Should be coming next week. I can't wait. :D

Awesome, you'll love it. How many and what kind did you get? I have 3 rhode island reds and they all started laying eggs 2 weeks ago. do you have your brooding pen set up? What are you going to do for a coop? I went off the deep end with my coop, it weighs a ton. If you look at all the coop designs it is pretty easy to come up with a great functioning coop.

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you...

I ordered 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Silkies and a Ameraucana. I'm ordering the Silkies and a Buff Orpington from Asagi hatchery (to be p/u around 6/19) and the rest from Waimanalo (early July).

I bought extra because Asagi sells Silkies as straight runs only and the extra Buff Orp will help keep the Silkies warm. I plan on just keeping one each of each breeds and giving the extra to my parents.

Just set up my brooding pen today in the bathroom. It is a good size cardboard box with a 40 watt desk lamp as the heat source. Ran the lamp for a couple of hour to check the temperature and everything is good.

I'm building my coop right now (actually my DH is, I'm the painter). It is actually bigger than I thought it would look. :) my coop has a floor size of 3x4 with an attached run. I have space limitations so it is not as big as I wanted it to be. I'll post pictures when I'm done. I looked through a lot of coop pictures on BYC to get ideas from, I liked the Wichita cabin coop a lot. By husband got irritated when I kept changing my coop design because I kept finding ideas that I liked. Lol...

Can't wait for my chicks! So excited!

Last edited:
Greetings,

Good to see some Hawaii residents out here. Located in Downtown Honolulu hea.

I can't really have those chickens for now. My apartment is R5, residential so I can only have 2 chickens. I don't have any right now though. However, I do have 3 Japanese Coturnix Quails. They are much more quieter than chickens but matches the poop output.
D.gif

Lester

Lester,

Where did you find legal information regarding zoning and allowable amounts of chickens, I live in Makakilo and couldnt find anything regarding "chicken laws".

Mahalo,

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom