acv with "mother"

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i was buying groceries today. i was going to grab some apple cider vinegar for the chicks. they had "with mother" i bought it, but i don't know why it matters. did i waste my money?

The "mother" is actually quite an important piece and you did not waste your money. Infact its great for all animals as well as people. I take a tbls every morning.

The difference between acv with "mother" and without is quite simple. regular acv is distilled, which means that any natural enzymes and other important minerals have been killed in the process and it offers no medicinal value.

I grabbed this excerpt from the following link:

"Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) are also contained in ACV. Be sure to purchase organic unfiltered, unpasteurized, naturally fermented ACV for its medicinal features. ACV ranges in color from a light golden to orange. You’ll know you’ve found the right stuff if you see sediment, referred to as the "mother of vinegar" on the bottom of the bottle. Do NOT buy white distilled vinegar, as it has none of the beneficial elements listed above."

http://bragg.com/healthinfo/healthypets.html

I give it to my girls everyday to he'p maintain a healthy flock. 1 tbls per gallon of water. Just be sure to put it in a plastic waterer as a metal dish will corode from the acidity.

Enjoy!

I have tried twice to put ACV (with mother) into their water bucket. I put 1 Tablespoon per gallon. They won't touch it.
idunno.gif
They much rather have regular water. Is this something that they have to get use to? The only thing I did different was switch from a metal bucket to a plastic bucket.

I have tried twice to put ACV (with mother) into their water bucket. I put 1 Tablespoon per gallon. They won't touch it.
idunno.gif
They much rather have regular water. Is this something that they have to get use to? The only thing I did different was switch from a metal bucket to a plastic bucket.

They'll drink it if they're thirsty enough. Try adding it a teaspoon at a time over time.

Distilled is good for things I guess, but top of the hill is correct. Without the mother you are not adding the enzyms needed to romote good health. Where I live now I had a heck of a time finding real ACV. I have had to break down and use distilled until I can get to where I find the good stuff, but that to make sure they continue drinking it when added. At the moment what I have is offering nothing be the ability to fight slim in the water.

I have basically lived on AVC myself and I don't care what people say, I have suggested it to a ton of people who couldn't believe all the times it helped them over come. I haven't felt well in quit a while, but haven't had it my self in over a year and a half. I think every day that I need to find someone out here that sells it, but I haven't been able too.

BTW the cloudier and ickier it looks, the better it is for you and the animals. It might look bad, but it never goes bad.

I'm betting that wolftracks probably isn't looking for another project LOL but I'd suggest making your own.

Next time you get a bottle of ACV with the mother, sacrifice half of it. Pour it into a gallon jug. Then get 2 cans of frozen apple juice. It has to be the frozen because, like filtered ACV, the enzymes haven't been killed. 2 cans will make a gallon. So that half bottle with the gallon of reconstituted frozen apple juice gets covered with a cloth or coffee filter secured tightly with a couple rubber bands. Put it in the pantry and just let it sit for at least a month. You'll see the live mother appear on the top. It'll make a layer of slimy tan-white sort of stuff. That is the live, real, honest, mother. You can bottle your homemade ACV and for the next batch, just mix up the apple juice and plop that mother in there (hehe) and in another month you'll have another gallon of ACV and two mothers. Share the extra, put it in the compost, or cut it up small and give it to the chickens. Mine love it so long as it's cut in small enough pieces.

Edit: Don't add the Braggs or whatever until AFTER you've mixed up the apple juice and it's around room temperature.

Last edited:
Thank you Wolftracks! I am new to chickens but I am in love with them already. Galanie I am going to try making my own ACV. My husband is going to think I am making moonshine!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm betting that wolftracks probably isn't looking for another project LOL but I'd suggest making your own.
Next time you get a bottle of ACV with the mother, sacrifice half of it. Pour it into a gallon jug. Then get 2 cans of frozen apple juice. It has to be the frozen because, like filtered ACV, the enzymes haven't been killed. 2 cans will make a gallon. So that half bottle with the gallon of reconstituted frozen apple juice gets covered with a cloth or coffee filter secured tightly with a couple rubber bands. Put it in the pantry and just let it sit for at least a month. You'll see the live mother appear on the top. It'll make a layer of slimy tan-white sort of stuff. That is the live, real, honest, mother. You can bottle your homemade ACV and for the next batch, just mix up the apple juice and plop that mother in there (hehe) and in another month you'll have another gallon of ACV and two mothers. Share the extra, put it in the compost, or cut it up small and give it to the chickens. Mine love it so long as it's cut in small enough pieces.
Edit: Don't add the Braggs or whatever until AFTER you've mixed up the apple juice and it's around room temperature.

Never looking but always finding them. LOL

I've only known how to do this starting with fresh apples and a lot of time. Now I'm going to try the frozen apple juice. What brand of apple juice? Everything always has something added or missing?

Back
Top Bottom