My Rooster is attacking one of my hens!!

NCchick1924

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Ruffin, North Carolina
My Rooster (A Rhode Island Red) keeps attacking one of my hens. I have no idea why he keeps attacking it my husband and I believe that he thinks that it is a rooster but it is definitely not we got it last year as a bitty at chick days at tractor supply, the bitty was in the same crate as the americaunas but is definitely not an americauna, the hen produces a light brown egg as opposed to a colored egg. Any suggestions as to why the rooster is attacking the hen.
he.gif
It is very frustrating having to quarantine a chicken!!!!!!

I'm having the same problem with my new BO rooster. My dad thinks it's because she won't mate with him but all I see is him aggressively chasing her and biting her. The hens usually squat when they mate, not run for their lives. She seems really distressed about him and it's got me very worried.

how about putting the roo in time out for a week or two instead of the hen? He will have to re-establish himself as leader, and it may teach him some manners.

Last edited:
I also had a problem with a roo suddenly attacking one of his girls for no apparent reason. No idea why, but she was terrified of him and with good reason - he was beating her up. She is an EE and he is a Silkie. Anyway, I separated them in various configurations for awhile and tried reintroducing them and it got to where if he even saw her coming back he would 'go off'. I had other coops and I put her in with another, mellower rooster. She had to reestablish herself in the pecking order, but it was better than hiding under a nesting box.

i share a coop with my step-dad on his property so i can't really change things up and he doesnt care to add a new coop/run. i guess if the behavior continues i will have to give the rooster away. he's such a beautiful bird,so pity.

Last edited:
my dad says the hens who are broody will not be receptive to mating and that is why the rooster is chasing her. he wants to mate but she doesn't because she is either not laying eggs any more or she wants to brood. does that sound plausible?

I really do not understand, when I say attacking I really mean attacking. The roo was flogging her pretty bad, almost took out an eye and pretty deep cuts on her chest and neck. Now the hen just goes to my neighbors house during the day or hangs out in the woods until time to roost but still roosts with them but is not seen in the daytime.

Definitely not a mating attack. Is the hen being attacked is a different breed from the other hens? Is he good with the other hens? Sometimes a chicken will just not like another chicken. There usually is a reason for it to start. But it can continue with out any more provocations. Separation is perhaps best.

Back
Top Bottom