Has anyone actually USED Sluggo?

fargosmom

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Pasadena, CA
I've used Sluggo before to control snails but not since I got chickens. Now I have a small strawberry patch, which is fenced off from the girls, that I'd like to keep snail-free . . . if I sprinkle some Sluggo around inside the patch to make sure that I get to eat my berries, I think I'm pretty safe. But I'd love to hear from someone who actually HAS used it around poultry just to be safer - there are other posts here asking about it but I don't see much feedback after actual use.
Anyone . . . . ?

I have never used Sluggo. Here's the MSDS for the different forms of it. Sounds like it might be toxic if eaten.
Is it granules? I'd be concerned about the chickens eating it.

http://www.montereylawngarden.com/products/labels/

I have used Deadline occasionally around some of the flower beds, without incident, but rarely use anything in the backyard anymore.

Imp

I have the same question. I just sent an email to the manufacturer asking is Sluggo is safe if the chickens eat it. I'll let you know the answer when/if I get a response.

I have the same question. I just sent an email to the manufacturer asking is Sluggo is safe if the chickens eat it. I'll let you know the answer when/if I get a response.

Thanks - I'll be interested in their answer. I think the Deadline stuff is actually a more toxic formula, although it wouldn't be granular so less likely to be eaten. I don't usually use anything since I worry about my dogs too, but this year I want some berries gosh darn it. If I do put the Sluggo down I'll keep it inside the fenced-in patch, so I don't really expect the hens to get to it. Just want to be sure - keep us all posted when the maker answers - Cheers!

Well, I got a quick response from the manufacturer from Marion Vogler, Administrative Assistant, Lawn & Garden Products. I'll quote the response:

Hello Jo-Ann,
Yes, Sluggo is safe for chickens to eat. It is made from wheat gluten and sugar, so it will not harm them.
Have a great day!

So, that's the official response from Monterery Lawn & Garden. If anyone wants to look at their website, it's http://www.montereylawngarden.com/

Last edited:
They also have a new product, Sluggo
00ae.png
Plus Insect, Slug & Snail Pellets. It's supposed to kill slugs, as well as Earwigs, Cutworms, Sowbugs, & Pillbugs. It contains the iron phosphate & Spinosad & is pelleted like sluggo.

I'd have to investigate what Spinosad is before I'd try the new formula - doesn't sound like anything I need though. I just want to keep the slimeys under control. Thanks for the update. I certainly don't want to encourage the girls to eat it and I won't put it anywhere they're likely to forage, but it's nice to know that if they stumble across a crumb or two it shouldn't mean instant death.
Cheers!

Living in western Washington, we have a problem with slugs. Everyone seems to use Sluggo, which makes sense looking at the label's ingredients, the sweet photo of a dog, and the "safe for pets and wildlife" written on the the label. This spring my husband used Sluggo liberally around the garden, and I haven't seen many garden snakes this summer. Maybe it was just me, but I spend a lot of time amending my soil, adding "black gold", and tending my worm bin.

I did a little research on Sluggo and was amazed to discover that there was a secret ingredient, EDTA, that is in Sluggo but not disclosed. It may be bad for pets, wildlife, the environment, and of course, chickens. Don't take a manufacturer's word for it. Make your own decision.

Here are two good articles to read:
www.cloudforest.com/cafe/gardening/warning-sluggo-toxic-for-people-and-wildlife-t3846.html
http://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/bl...view…iron-phosphate-for-slugs-and-snails.aspx

Back
Top Bottom