Pics

Yashar

New Egg
11 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Oneonta, New York
Hello all,
frow.gif

**Things have ramped down for the season, feel free to contact me with any questions or if you really feel you need something I may have.**

Hatching eggs are $48 per dozen. Plus shipping. I ship out eggs on Monday or Tuesday. (I always try to send a few extra eggs if possible)

PM me to let me know what you want and when you want it.

Here is the list of what I have available at this time:

**All done... for now!**
# 1 - Huastec
# 2 - *Ponape
# 3 - *Koro Sea
# 4 - *
Black Quechua Olmec I highly recommend hatching these under a hen.
# 5 - Sweet Potato Quechua
# 6 -
Colloncas (very nice line)
24 hour auctions coming in a few weeks

In short, the three with asterisks are are on the wild side having a higher percentage of Jungle Fowl Genes.

All except the Colloncas are quite rare.

I'll go into more detail about each breed further down.

Huastec, Black Quechua Olmec, Sweet Potato Quechua, and Colloncas are the most winter hearty. I didn't use heat at all this last winter and everyone from all of these groups did fine.

# 1 - Huastec
The Huastec is one of the rareest breeds in the world. It's an ancient black-boned fowl from southern Mexico and Ecuador.

The Huastec produces lots of medium to large eggs, is calm, confiding, personable and fairly quiet.

Whereas the breeds of some roosters, like the Leghorn, tend to fiercely exclude other roosters from access to hens and shelter, the Huastec is a cooperative breeder. They can be run in braces; three to five roosters to accompany a little bevy of hens. Each rooster has a favorite hen and vise versa.The Huastec is incredibly cold hardy and make wonderful parents. The roosters are just as attentive to the chicks as the hens.

Huestec%201scaled.JPG
DSC09851.sized.jpg

Huestec%202scaled.jpg
Huestec_Hen_1.jpg

LL
LL

# 2 - Ponape - Saudeleur line <wild, even if raised by hand>
The Saudeleur is a Micronesian Gamefowl descended of the Violaceous Junglefowl (Gallus violacea Gould) and Austronesian Fighting Game. The Saudeleur is a wild race, completely naturalized as a feral bird in the interior of the mysterious island of Ponape (Pohnpei). Trapped by the islanders for their beautiful plumage , they are amongst most prized possessions in Micronesian villages on the coasts.

This is an unusually graceful, light-weight breed, more junglefowl than chicken. The crow is pleasant and multi syllabic but the birds are not particularly vocal.

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Many birds are black boned and hence invaluable for selection breeders using their genetic stock for the creation of Cemani. [/FONT]
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG

# 3 - Koro Sea - From the Fiji Islands <wild, but if raised by hand, a little less so>
please refer to this link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/540636/i-heart-rapanuis

Koro%20Sea%20Rooster%201.JPG
Koro%20Sea%20hen%20and%20rooster.JPG
Spice%20Island.JPG
Koro%20Sea%20hen%203.jpg
Koro%20Sea%20Hen%201.JPG
Koro%20Sea%20hen%20portrate.jpg
Koro%20Sea%20hen%205.jpg

# 4 - Black Quechua Olmec
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]This is an ancient, black-boned race of Bolivian Quechua. It tends to produce the most dramatically tinted eggs amongst the Quechua sub-breeds. Bolivian Indians prefer a very green egg but most of our stock tend to produce a pale turquoise egg, though there are always exceptions and some hens produce a vivid green or robin blue egg. These are hatched from the same clutches as hens that produce pale eggs. The Black Quechua Olmec rooster is scintillating violet and burned orange in colour with black skin. The female is generally black but there is partridge variation which is quite common as well. The most valuable morph of this breed has a blue breast and iridescent purple tear drop spots in its hackles. White coloured Black Quechua Olmec are not uncommon and tufted birds pop up from time to time. This antique breed is very similar to the Sweet Potato Quechua but a bit warier and wilder. It is exceedingly hardy and well suited for cold rainy regions. [/FONT]
Black%20Quechua%20Olmec%204scaled.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG

# 5 - Sweet Potato Quechua
This is an antique South American relative of the North American Ameraucana. Our strains have Marquesas Island Junglefowl (Gallus temmincki Gould) ancestry as well as old Peruvian Indian village hen genetics.

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Some Sweet Potato Quechua produce unusually blue or turquoise eggs and some will produce tea yellow or pale pinkish brown eggs. Most lay a pale aqua or stone hued egg. Being a fantastic layer of medium eggs. It is often an even more consistent winter layer than the Ameraucana and it’s still more cold hardy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]This unusual breed is a great forager, unusually sweet tempered and lovely. Sweet Potato Quechuas make fine mothers. They are an unusually striking fowl that don’t ruin a garden. The roosters have a musical crow and are fairly quiet compared with most breeds.[/FONT]
LL
Sweet%20Amer%2023scaled.JPG

# 6 - Colloncas (very nice line)
Colloncas are one of the original and most ancient breeds of the Mapuche Indian culture of Chile. They produce generous numbers of colourful eggs and like many South American fowl lay well into the winter. Some hens will produce a pale sea foam hued egg, others robin blue, ash grey and even lilac. A single pair of Colloncas may produce hens that each lay a different colour.

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Colloncas are best known for innate tameness. They enjoy being held but unlike Silky fowl, which also enjoy human companionship, the Colloncas is completely winter hardy and can evade predators ably. It is a fairly strong flier and one of the more quiet breeds. Colloncas are very good at tick and fly control and are traditionally kept with sheep and llamas.
The Colloncas is one of the two primary ancestors of the Araucana. It is advisable that the poultier keep at least two roosters with a flock of hens, three is the ideal number as Colloncas have strong pair bonds and the roosters work in cooperation to defend and chaperone hens and chicks. As a rule, true Colloncas roosters do not fight with one another and are never aggressive with people.
[/FONT]

Collonca%20Rooster%201scaled.JPG
LL
ZC

Please PM me if you want to arrange a purchase (or have questions).

Last edited:
Great pics, Yashar! Mine are suddenly laying to the point I can't keep up, and the incubators are all full.

I suppose I'll be putting mine up soon.

Here are some pics so folks can get an idea of more of the looks. I'll let Resolution pop on here and name them.

Sorry about the cruddy camera quality. My phone was confused about the light correction.

Well, If both the birds are rumples, you may want to trim the feathers around the vent of both hen and roosters you're breeding. Since they don't have the last vertebrae (or tail), they can't move the feathers out of the way the way they a tailed one would. So the contact could be hindered.
That is the only issue, which is the same weather with a Collonca or an Aracauna.

Yashar, I got the eggs today & they look great, pretty colors & thanks for the extras!

Back
Top Bottom