Will Cornish Cross chickens jump/fly over a 3' fence?

Tbone101

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
I have a 3' garden fence to keep my chickens contained outside of their coop. They are just chicks now but when they get to be older I am worried that they may jump/fly over the top of the fence.

So please just help me out. Thanks.

First of all
welcome-byc.gif

I had some Cornish Cross last spring, and they were way too heavy to fly over a 3' fence. They generally stayed close to the feeder, and were really funny looking when they tried to run.
Good luck with your Cornish Cross!

Thanks! Do you think they would try to get out or would they just stay in their pen?

That sounds plenty to keep them contained. They are the laziest, sweetest birds I've ever raised. I'd open the coop door to let them free range, the layers would take off twenty feet or so, the cornish cross would pile up right outside the door in the first patch of sunshine.

Remember, what you're talking about won't keep predators out. But it should keep those birds in.

Cornish Cross chickens can't jump over their own feet.

However, every type of predator can get over a 3 foot fence. If it is just to keep the chickens in, it will be fine. If you have local predators or stray dogs, you are going to have to do more.

Back
Top Bottom