How much coop space for ducks?

Chickiee

Songster
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
Jackson, WI (Southeast WI)
Hi! I have 2 Pekin ducklings that will be housed in a coop (in about 4 weeks) with their 9 chick brooder box mates. I know how much square footage to allow in a coop for healthy chickens, but how much square footage per duck is needed in the coop? They will all have access to a netting- covered 10'x10' dog run and free range when I'm outside with them. Thanks!

I would double the size of the area for the ducks. They need the floor space versus the roosts for the chickens. If they will have access to the run all the time, then 4sqft per duck should be fine for sleeping at night. Will they be sharing the run space with the chickens as well? I've noticed that with my two Pekins that they tend to stomp around and will not hesitate to step on anyone that's in their way! LOL. That might be the reason for a bit more room for them.

Thank you everyone for the input! I want to make sure everyone is happy and not crowded. Ducks and chickens will utilize the outside run together. Because of all the Coyotes, etc in the area, they all will have a curfew at dusk and go in for the night. Tweetyvoice, lol, it's the feet! The ducks are growing crazy fast and those feet! I've had to enlarge my brooder box twice in the last 10 days just to make sure the chicks can get out of the way of the two moose in there with them! ;) Have to admit, ducks have great personality, though, and are a lot of fun.

Ah, decisions, decisions... To coop together or not to coop together. The other question is about a sleeping area inside the coop for ducks... Straw in a corner? Or, an actual little boxed out area with straw?

Straw in the corner. To put it bluntly, most ducks are neglegent (nay, stupid) mothers. They don't require a more complex nest unit like chickens do. I have a duck who literrally just lays wherever she happens to be when the egg comes through the 'pipes'.

We just set up a dog house for our ducks inside the run. It's separate from the chicken's coops:
For those worried about predators (this is just our "inner run") we have a whole 20x20 run outside of this that we let them out of after work and during weekends.

Back
Top Bottom