pic of my chicks, is this what's considererd "fully feathered"? Can they be outside full-time?

Jeanette13

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Ohio
I have 6 amberlink chickens, they are currently 5 weeks old. My run and coop are ready to go, and frankly, I'm ready to get them out of my basement. Our temps are somewhere between 50-60 during the day, and mid 30s at night. They have been outside for a couple of hours every day that it's been nice enough for the last couple of weeks. These are my first chickens, so I'm new to all of this! Are they big enough to be outside full time in those temperatures? Thanks!

How many weeks are they? I am new to chicks as well so I will be waiting to hear what others say. My girls are going on 3 weeks old and while they have a lot of feathers coming in, they are still really small. Maybe people.s pictures just make them look bigger than they are?

How many weeks are they? I am new to chicks as well so I will be waiting to hear what others say. My girls are going on 3 weeks old and while they have a lot of feathers coming in, they are still really small. Maybe people.s pictures just make them look bigger than they are?
They are 5 weeks old now. They look like miniature chickens to me with most of their feathers in. I think the amberlinks mature a little faster, because when I look at pictures of other chicks the same age, mine definitely look further along!

You'll get varying opinions on this. My opinion is yes, they are feathered and will be fine outside without heat at night. I put feathered birds out in spring with same temps you have. 50's in day, 30-40's at night.

Mine are three weeks old and have been pretty much outside all day since last weekend. I do put them up at night in an empty coop I built just for them. (no adult chickens in coop) Im in Texas and night time temps have been in the 60's. I put the red lamp on at 10:00 at night and turn it off at 6:00am. They get put out at sun up and stay out untill dusk. They are soooo much happier than in that brooder.

My BO chicks are 4 1/2 weeks old. They are outside at sun-up to sun-down.

Mornings around here are in the 50s, so I put out a heat lamp - they didn't go near it. So, I took the heat lamp away because it appears as if they don't need it.

I'm bringing mine inside at night. I would leave them out, but they haven't bee n introduced to the flock yet.

I just put my four four week old chicks (2 Rhodies and 2 Delaware) outside in the coop run for their first outing. Their brooder heat lamp has been off for two nights because it is 72 in the room they are in. They are happy to be out of the cramped bunny cage and to discover a world full of the greens they have been snacking on for the past week.
It is 72 outside and will climb to 82 today here on the gulf coast. The temperature will drop to 69 tonight with no rain. Do you think they can stay outside permanently or do I have to put them back in the bunny cage tonight? I can set up the coop with water and food but no heat lamp.
Kate

I just put my four four week old chicks (2 Rhodies and 2 Delaware) outside in the coop run for their first outing. Their brooder heat lamp has been off for two nights because it is 72 in the room they are in. They are happy to be out of the cramped bunny cage and to discover a world full of the greens they have been snacking on for the past week.
It is 72 outside and will climb to 82 today here on the gulf coast. The temperature will drop to 69 tonight with no rain. Do you think they can stay outside permanently or do I have to put them back in the bunny cage tonight? I can set up the coop with water and food but no heat lamp.
Kate

If they were mine, I would leave them outside.

Thanks for the encouraging reply. I think they will be happy to stay out and I can lock them up safe from predators in the coop this evening with food and water. When they get full size there will be no food in the coop to encourage rats and mice, but for now they need it.
Kate

I give mine the option to go under a heat lamp if they need it.. but it gets really cold here at night (bellow freezing). During the day they will go back to the heat lamp if they get cold. I wouldn't leave them without heatlamp at mid 30's. Give them another week and I'd say it's good to go.

Back
Top Bottom