When can you feed chicks veggies and fruit??

One of the best things you can do for your chicks and future flock dynamics is to give them a big clod of earth when they are about a week old (I pull up dandelions, roots, dirt and all.) This gets them to peck at the ground, not at each other. You'll find that you have far fewer aggression issues later on if they are imprinted early with the idea that interesting things are on the ground, not each other. This also exposes them to small quantities of the germs in your area and their immune systems will be stronger. They also get grit and a bit of greens. As they get older, you can certainly give them greens, etc. But, with the chicks, do keep their brooder clean! Remove anything that isn't used with the day it's put out. Also, the majority of their bulk should come from chick feed, which is properly balanced for their growth. If you want to see more about feeding chicks, check out this blogpost:
http://www.hencam.com/henblog/2011/05/dandelions/

Oh yeah! I'm not a newbie lol. I know how to raise chicks. I had just never heard of anyone feeding chickens fruits, veggies, and scraps (no meat) until I started looking up here. I had always just let them eat the natural things (grass, bugs, etc.) and their laying pellets, oyster shells, and corn. I had never thought of them eating lettuce, bananas, and such. I just recently started adding these to my grown chickens' diet and wasn't sure if there was age to start this.

I gave my chicks nothing but chick starter and water for 8 weeks. Then scratch grains as a treat after 8 weeks. Chick starter is a complete formula that includes what they need to grow up healthy. Adding anything else dilutes the nutritional value. If you decide to give them treats it shouldn't be more than 10%. My five, 10 month old Golden Comets started to lay between 17 1/2 and 19 weeks and have never been wormed or needed antibiotics and I get 32 to 35 eggs a week. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom