What NOT to feed a chicken

Nigellas

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Is there a list somewhere of things that I should not feed my (bantam) chickens? When I picked them up, the woman who sold them to me told me to never feed them avocado. I was too overwhelmed to ask why, but now I'm wondering if there are other foods I need to avoid too.

Thanks!
smile.png

Avocado is high in fat, and can put too much fat onto them.
The only thing I can think of as a definate no-no is any poisonous flowers or houseplants, regular potato vines (sweet potato is ok in winter), tomato plants, and any other plants in the nightshade family.

Corn isn't good in the summer if you live where it gets hot, and for the same reason, so is sweet potato. They're great in the winter though, since they make the chickens heat up digesting them.

Hope someone with a little more knowledge comes along soon!
Emily in NC

Hi there...I posted that same question and got back...avacado,beans(although some said they did feed them to their chooks), potato, whole corn...good luck

Don't feed them onions or garlic, as these will flavor your eggs.

I'm still trying to figure out if feeding them M&Ms will make them lay chocolate eggs...
ya.gif

Great list! My chickens go berserk over bread. I don't know what they like better, eating it, or just running around with it showing it off to the other chickens and getting chased!

I have heard that fruit is a big NO NO because it can cause egg production to decrease or stop if they eat a lot of it? Can anyone dispell this myth?

My chickens also love june bugs. People thought we were nuts this year because we were actually trying to attract and collect them to give out as treats!

Beans are fine as long as they are cooked.
Fruit is fine.
Corn is fine raw and dried. But it has been said that corn will warm a chicken up so its best not to use it in the summer too often. But mine get fresh corn in the summer often.

Back
Top Bottom