Braggs Mountain Buffs

I remember seeing their adds in Small Farm Today mag (before it turned into basically a newspaper). I don't have any experience with them though. Those were some awesome stats on them though. Seemed a little pricey for me to try out. GoodLuck. Blaine

That is where I first heard of them as well. I recieved that issue and it was more of a teaser article than anything else. It got me interested in the breed, but then there was no follow up information about breed performance and direct comparisons to the more common and notable breeds. When you go to the Braggs Mountain website...there is no supporting material about the breed, there is no information as to how the breed performs, no independant reviews....nothing. What I see is a very expensive bird that has no information to support that it has any re-deeming qualities.

I take it that the breed must be a mediocre breed that does not meet the advertised expectations.

Last edited:
Is there anybody here that has purchased the Braggs Mountain Buff? I know that there have been threads about them in the past, but these are old threads.

They make some pretty strong claims about their birds. If you have them I'd like to know your impressions of the bird. And what was your experience in ordering from the supplier?

http://www.braggsmountainpoultry.com/
We placed an order for 25 chicks over a year ago. There have been lots of excuses over an extended time. I know the drought here in Texas last summer caused problems for a lot of folks, so we have been patient. This weekend we finally made the 5 hour round trip to pick up some of these birds. My wife agreed to accept 14 pullets and a couple roosters instead of the chicks because he said he still didn't have enough chicks. Well when we got there the story changed again and he he let us pick 14 mature birds and 3 roosters. He said these birds were about 2 years old and laying good. My bet is that these birds are a good bit older than 2 !! Well we got our birds and brought them home, south of Houston. When these birds saw the food they ate ravinously until their crops looked like they had swallowed a softball. Thinking back on our visit we saw no feeders around and in fact did not see a source of water. His place was near Waco and it was esentially desert, lots of prickly pear and not much else. The birds are quite large but had very little meat on their bones. I believe when they fill out they are going to be REALLY heavy birds. We don't believe his birds received optimum care but if we get some viable eggs I think with a little culling we will be real happy with these birds. We trimed toenails, spurs and beaks when we put them in their new pen. A couple of the hens had significant spurs which we will cull to eliminate. They also had considerable sized combs, one or two would rival a rooster comb. My wife checked their vents and is convinced they are hens. We plan to cull for color, (dark mustard), bird size, egg size and comb. The wife thinks she likes the bigger combs on the hens since it ist different from other breeds. If folks are still reading this thread we post more as we get familiar with these birds.

We placed an order for 25 chicks over a year ago. There have been lots of excuses over an extended time. I know the drought here in Texas last summer caused problems for a lot of folks, so we have been patient. This weekend we finally made the 5 hour round trip to pick up some of these birds. My wife agreed to accept 14 pullets and a couple roosters instead of the chicks because he said he still didn't have enough chicks. Well when we got there the story changed again and he he let us pick 14 mature birds and 3 roosters. He said these birds were about 2 years old and laying good. My bet is that these birds are a good bit older than 2 !! Well we got our birds and brought them home, south of Houston. When these birds saw the food they ate ravinously until their crops looked like they had swallowed a softball. Thinking back on our visit we saw no feeders around and in fact did not see a source of water. His place was near Waco and it was esentially desert, lots of prickly pear and not much else. The birds are quite large but had very little meat on their bones. I believe when they fill out they are going to be REALLY heavy birds. We don't believe his birds received optimum care but if we get some viable eggs I think with a little culling we will be real happy with these birds. We trimed toenails, spurs and beaks when we put them in their new pen. A couple of the hens had significant spurs which we will cull to eliminate. They also had considerable sized combs, one or two would rival a rooster comb. My wife checked their vents and is convinced they are hens. We plan to cull for color, (dark mustard), bird size, egg size and comb. The wife thinks she likes the bigger combs on the hens since it ist different from other breeds. If folks are still reading this thread we post more as we get familiar with these birds.

This is an awesome post and is exactly what I was hoping to get as a reply. Thank you so much for posting this information. Please keep us updated as to your further experiences with the Braggs Mountain Buff.

If at all possible photos would be helpful as well.

I'm very interested in the breed and would like to know as much about them as possible.

Last edited:
Did these come from the main source or from someone else that was breeding them?

Last edited:
That is a good question. I assumed that they way that the post was worded that the chickens came from the primary source. Clarification as to the source would be nice.
Ok since my wife has done the communication with this gentleman over the last year, I asked her. She said she placed the original order by filling out the form on the website. She received a call from this fellow and has communicated with him alone about the birds. She did say he mentioned a partner in Oklahoma. My estimation is that this man did not originate the breed, he did not seem on the ball enough and his chickens were not in that good of order. He did have a bunch of these and only these. Don't really know anything for certain.

I think he told my wife he was not getting a good hatch rate. However he had a large wire basket of eggs hanging in the chicken coop. I'm talking several dozens of eggs and the temperature was over 90 degrees, maybe close to one hundred. She said he mentioned setting eggs weekly. So, a low hatch rate under those conditions does not surprise me.

We have the birds and once they and the roos are in good shape we will begin breeding them. As I said earlier they did seem large yet under weight, so we'll see how they fill out. We have several types of Marans so I had a good size bird to eyeball these against. We are optimistic about the birds .... we'll see.

I just looked on thier website and they are located in Oklahoma.
Looks like qball53 got his from Texas, could this person in Texas be the partner? Would it be wise to contact the OK place to find out if they know how this guy is raiseing and sell their birds?

I just looked on thier website and they are located in Oklahoma.
Looks like qball53 got his from Texas, could this person in Texas be the partner? Would it be wise to contact the OK place to find out if they know how this guy is raiseing and sell their birds?
I have no need .... nothing to gain by contacting someone in Oklahoma. We were contacted after filling out that form so I would presume they know of each other.

Back
Top Bottom