Can you hatch your own Cornish Cross?

aliciaford

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
I am a first timer and I have dual purpose birds such as RIR, Barred Rock and Buff Orphs, both hens and roosters, however, I would like to raise meat birds. People keep telling me that Cornish Cross cant even walk after 12 weeks because they are so fat. Are they impossible to hatch/breed? I would like to raise my own birds, free birds are better than hatchery birds... Ideas??? Maybe I should just hatch my dual purpose birds?

I was curious about this also, but I have a Cornish female that I would have to get a male for. I'm interested to see what people's replies are!

Shelly

here's one thread that talks about this. i think there's others if you do a search.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63051

This is a GREAT question that I would Def want to hear more about. I was considering keeping one of the Female Cornish Roasters and trying to breed her with either my White Leghorn Rooster or a White Rock Rooster or my WLR Cornish if he turns out to be a rooster to get some good broad breasted meat birds...Any suggestions???

You are really asking two questions here:

1) Can you get hatching eggs for Cornish Crosses (broilers)?

Yes. They cost you more than a day old chick, though, so you are not saving anything.

2) Can you rebreed a Cornish Cross and get subsequent generations of Cornish Crosses?

No. Cornish Crosses are hybrids and when you rebreed them, they do not produce more Cornish Crosses. You get random results. Not to mention they eat so much food getting to point-of-lay, it's hard to justify any savings.

Good info. I didnt even really know if they would lay eggs, lol. I plan on doing the ration feeding not 24/7, so im sure whatever i come up with will be a decent meat bird, whether I breed it to white rock or white leghorn.

Actually, I'm trying this out! I crossed my cornish rock x hens with my black austrolorp rooster and am collecting eggs from my cornish rock x hens everyday, and am going to try to hatch them out!
1f601.png
hoping for the best!!!

I wonder if one had the time and space If one could un scramble the Cornish x? I was able to d it with geckos of multiple genes, took a few generations. And I also knew what I was separating. I really think with in 4 to 5 years a person could. I would think if ya started with one rooster and one hen hatch all there eggs then breed parents to 1st gen and hatch them to figure out the traits that are hidden. After that you would spent a few more years figuring out what combination they go to make the Cornish cross. Think about it, every Cornish x has all the genes ya just have to figure out what they are and what order they go in. If one knew what the supposedly 4 breeds were to make them I would think this would shave off a year or 2. I guess in my opinion is possible but not practical, maybe when im old and retired I would try it.

I wonder if one had the time and space If one could un scramble the Cornish x? I was able to d it with geckos of multiple genes, took a few generations. And I also knew what I was separating. I really think with in 4 to 5 years a person could. I would think if ya started with one rooster and one hen hatch all there eggs then breed parents to 1st gen and hatch them to figure out the traits that are hidden. After that you would spent a few more years figuring out what combination they go to make the Cornish cross. Think about it, every Cornish x has all the genes ya just have to figure out what they are and what order they go in. If one knew what the supposedly 4 breeds were to make them I would think this would shave off a year or 2. I guess in my opinion is possible but not practical, maybe when im old and retired I would try it.
The broiler industry maintains Grandparent Flocks, and Parent Flocks - because there's so many traits that are only good when they're heterozygous, and so many that are only good in the parent generation. My understanding is that the dame/granddame lines are actually small thrifty birds that lay a lot of eggs - and are genetic dwarfs. It's taken 50+ years of research and selective breeding to get these birds the way they are - you're not going to be able to unravel them in a couple generations - this is way more complex than what's going on with the pet side.

Back
Top Bottom