"Quiet" Rooster Breeds

15littlem

Songster
Feb 3, 2012
I have a bit of a delima. My parents won't let me get a rooster, because of noise. I have been searching all over BYC, looking for info on this topic. What I have found, is that certain large breeds have lower pitched "voices" than others. If you guys can help me find these breeds, I would be SOOO grateful to all of you. Any help is wanted!!

Yes, larger breeds have deeper voices, but they also have much louder voices than smaller and bantam breeds. Smaller/bantam breeds are somewhat quieter (smaller diaphragm and lung capacity for one), but also have higher pitched voices that may seem to carry better.

All of that is pretty much irrelevant, though, because roosters crow and they all crow just as loud as they can whenever they happen to feel like it. There is no such thing as a quiet breed. No crowing = no rooster.

Seramas, especially small class A's (serama come in A, B, and C weight classes, A being smallest) rarely crow and when they do their crows are 1/3 or less of the volume of the average large fowl cock. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I also forgot to mention in the original question that I would be willing to sacrifice volume for frequency of crowing.

i've got two black aust. young ones. one crows alot in the morning before they get out of the coop so not a problem. when he gets outside he doesn't crow - yet. the other one doesn't crow at all. i' wondering how long that will last.

Where do you live, how old are they (months) and what time generally does it crow. (more specific)

Just curious: why do you want a cockerel?
idunno.gif
Do you want to breed your own strain of stock? Or, is it so you can hatch chicks? Or, is it for the experience of having one?

If you are not fussy about breed of cockerel, it suggests that it is not because of breeding purposes.
If it is to hatch your own chicks, you could buy some fertilised eggs and put them under one of your hens when it goes broody.
If it is for the experience, then I think you need to win over your parents, because cockerels do not crow at any set time like an alarm clock but on and off all day long and when they feel like it (and yes, this could even be in the middle of the night
wink.png
)

What hens do you have already?

I have 2 Ideal 236 hens, and I am going to be getting 1 Buff Orpington hen, 1 Rhode Island Red hen, 1 Dominique hen, 1 Polish hen, 1 Golden laced Wyandotte hen, 1 Silver laced Wyandotte hen, 1 Welsummer hen, 1 Lakenvelder hen, 1 Ameracauna hen, and I might be able to get a pair of Swedish Flower Hens (Roo and Hen, a SFH Roo still has hen in the name).
I really want to breed SFH with these others, because they make some of the most beautiful chickens.

I have 2 Ideal 236 hens, and I am going to be getting 1 Buff Orpington hen, 1 Rhode Island Red hen, 1 Dominique hen, 1 Polish hen, 1 Golden laced Wyandotte hen, 1 Silver laced Wyandotte hen, 1 Welsummer hen, 1 Lakenvelder hen, 1 Ameracauna hen, and I might be able to get a pair of Swedish Flower Hens (Roo and Hen, a SFH Roo still has hen in the name).
I really want to breed SFH with these others, because they make some of the most beautiful chickens.

Swedish Flower hens are extremely hard to come by. They just recently were introduced into the US ( if that is where you are located). And trying to trick your parents into thinking they are hens is not a very good idea... they will likely find out when it starts crowing and take care of it. I definetly understand your interest inbreeding them, maybe you could buy some hatching eggs of different crosses and try it. They sell them on ebay believe it or not!

Back
Top Bottom