BlackBart

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Anybody heard of these meat birds?
They are supposed to do better as a pasture raised meat bird,
Wider breast than a Freedom Ranger.
Finish at 12-13 weeks.
They look like a Barred Rock. A hybrid of some sort, all very secret as to their heritage.
They come from a place in the USA.

Last edited:
Seems odd that nobody in the USA has heard of these birds, especially that is their origin.
Anyway I will post pictures of them as they grow along up to the processing date.
They were born June 25th, so they are 10 days old.
Growing like weeds, friendly and not stupid like the Cornish Crosses.
I take a picture of them when I get home from work.

Since you have some, you must know where to get them beyond "somewhere in the USA". So, where did you get them?

Googling them seems to bring up more hits in Canada,

Since you have some, you must know where to get them beyond "somewhere in the USA". So, where did you get them?

Googling them seems to bring up more hits in Canada,
I get them from a person who brings them into Canada from the USA. That person will not divulge where or who their contact is. Sort of a exclusive thing

Sounds more like a Canada thing. Not a lot of French sounding breeds started here in the USA. I have a sneaking suspicion that at one time even Freedom Rangers were meant to be called French Rangers, since they are from France, till the whole Saddam thing and Freedom Fries nonsense happened.

Based on the limited research I did and the fact that you are apparently in Canada, I'm guessing it is of French Canadian origin, which would explain why none of us down here have ever heard of it.

Which is fine. Good things can come from Canada just like anywhere else.

Let us know if your exclusive source ever spills the beans. I'm interested to know more about them. Also, let us know how your project goes.

Did a little research on this, the Canada connection peaked my interest! Buster 52, I agree there seem to be more hits in Canada for these birds. Based on an Alberta chicken forum they seems to be similar to Freedom Rangers in their ability to forage and free range but they look like Barred Rocks. Check out this website. Some people have been pasturing them since early May so they must be hardy birds indeed! I'm sure anyone living in the N/W United States could get some from western Canada.

http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting.com/viewforum.php?id=36

I

I was told they could be from a strain called Master Gris from Europe.

Our early May temps have been around 65' (not celcius) and it has been unseasonably cool this year. Now it is going to be HOT. I understand these birds put off alot of heat. I can verify the little 10 day old ones do.

Sorry the pictures are lousy but I was in a hurry. I'll take some more when they are 20 days old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom