Do Your Baby Chicks Really Need Marek's Vaccination?

ManuelsChickens

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Joliet, IL
Why Do you need It? Do you Really Need it? Cause I ordered Some Baby Chicks And I didn't Order Them With Marek's Vaccination. Will They Die?!?! How Come My Hens Baby Chicks Are 2 Months Old And They Don't Have The Vaccination And There Perfectly Fine. But I'm Still Worried What if They Die!
hit.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif

from what I understand...if any of your chick have been vaccinated for Marek's, they are protected but they are now carriers of the dormant virus. They will "shed" it and you increase the risk to your flock members who are not vaccinated.

The breeder I first bought from believed in vaccinating all her flock so I have done the same. She's been in chickens for 30 years and I just trusted her. I hope this helps you.

so since you will have some now vaccinated you need to get your entire flock vaccinated to be safe.

Sorry, this is not true.

Marek's vaccine is made from Turkey Marek's. It can not cause disease and/or carriers of chicken Marek's. You can have a mixed flock of vaccinated and nonvaccinated birds with absolutely no problems at all.

As for the protection provided by the vaccine. The vaccine is only 90% effective and only prevents the tumors associated with the disease from forming. It does not protect chickens from being infected or from becoming carriers of the illness. The only way that a carrier is formed is if the chickens are exposed to a bird with Marek's and survives. Again, the vaccine CANNOT cause Chicken Marek's or produce carriers of Chicken Marek's. It is made from Turkey Marek's virus and it is impossible for that to happen!
so since you will have some now vaccinated you need to get your entire flock vaccinated to be safe.

Hmmm I debated on this topic as well.... if you look up the topic on this Forum, theres another thread that talks about it-- that the dormant virus will NOT cause the illness in other birds. I have a similar situation-- got 15 day olds in the mail, they are vaccinated (and healthy) but will be mixing them in, in a couple more weeks with a month old set of unvaccinated chicks (they seem perfectly healthy)....
(LIke Leadwolf says -- I thinking I was typing while his posting went up...)

Last edited:
Sorry, this is not true.

Marek's vaccine is made from Turkey Marek's.  It can not cause disease and/or carriers of chicken Marek's.  You can have a mixed flock of vaccinated and nonvaccinated birds with absolutely no problems at all. 

As for the protection provided by the vaccine.  The vaccine is only 90% effective and only prevents the tumors associated with the disease from forming.  It does not protect chickens from being infected or from becoming carriers of the illness.  The only way that a carrier is formed is if the chickens are exposed to a bird with Marek's and survives.  Again, the vaccine CANNOT cause Chicken Marek's or produce carriers of Chicken Marek's.  It is made from Turkey Marek's virus and it is impossible for that to happen!

thank for saying this I got scared ! I mean like I didn't want to spend more money on vaccinations for my whole flock!

Back
Top Bottom