my chicken is drooling a small amount,

linda g

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
she is still eating well just lethargic and the other chickens knocked her over and started to peck her. I picked her up and she let me for starters... and then I brought her in to the pool area, she ate some peanuts and drank a bit. We put her in a seperate cage and fed her. She is eating well.. any thoughts? We are going to the feed store for tetracycline in the am if she is still ok.. any thoughts?

You may wan to keep her isolated from the others for her protection as well as the others. Can you smell anything from her beak area? Just pry open a little and see if it smells sour also feel the crop to see if it may be impacted. Other then this I am not sure. I wish you well and I am sure others will have suggestions

We isolated her last night, she stopped drooling.. and she is eating and drinking.. wierd she is only 4 months old, and is so gangly she gets picked on.. so when that happens she falls over and they try to peck at her.. then her pack intervene... well long and short of it.. she drooled after that.. maybe the stress? the mouth does not smell bad.. I don't know.. thanks for the input. we let her free range for a bit with everyone in a large yard. tonight we will keep her seperate.

Chickens don't drool. If she has something coming out of her mouth then something very serious is going on inside of her. If she is gangly, perhaps she has an issue that has prevented her from digesting her food properly. There are many things that she might have. Is her crop squishy? Does it ever get full and ball-like (it should.) Does she produce normal manure? She could have fluid buildup inside - ascites - which stems from system failures. She could have an intestinal blockage. She could have a genetic deformity that prevents her from thriving.
The first thing that I do to diagnose what is wrong is to separate the hen and put in a crate. Monitor food and water intake and manure production. That will give you more clues. I have more about that here: http://hencam.com/faq/diagnosing-a-sick-chicken/

My chicken drinks water and eats fine, but every once in a while I will see water/drool coming out of his mouth... Is their something I should do? Or do chickens just do that? HELP PLEASE!!!

if it was a hot day she might have consumed to much water make sure her crop is hard and if she is not good in a day seperate her and keep an eye on her this is not too serious

Hey!! I just saw this comment and I have a chicken who recently started making this weird groaning noise and we checked her beak and it did smell pretty bad. Any thoughts or ideas as to what she might have? A cure? Thanks!!

I have a hen who has had green semi watery stool and lethargy. She has lost weight as well. I saw her stool yesterday and when I went to close up the coop I found her barely responsive. I don't smell anything from her beak. Could she have an impacted crop? Is it too late to help her?

Back
Top Bottom