Bourbon Red Heritage Turkeys - Half-grown, Ready for Thanksgiving or Spring 2013 breeding

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
I have 10 half-grown Bourbon Red Heritage Turkeys that will be ready for Thanksgiving or for Spring 2013 breeding. They are $40 apiece (7 males, 3 females). These were hatched here on the farm in April and are free-range, raised naturally on grass. You must pick them up here and it's best if you're not more than 1-1/2 hours from me in Lancaster County, Pa. I would prefer to sell the entire flock together, if possible, but it's not necessary. If you've never raised heritage turkeys, these may not be for you because they require a LOT of space to roam or a large pen wth a large run (at least 200 square foot grass run per 2-3 birds). They prefer pasture or grass and can consume lots of grass. These heritage birds can fly and will roam great distances (much farther than chickens) and are not good for someone who does not have lots of space as they will wander away. I am also looking to sell my 4 older Bourbon Red breeding hens (ranging from 1 to 3 years old) for $25 apiece. These are great mothers, lay nests and set well. They are not show quality, but are 100 percent Bourbon Red and are great for anything else. I would prefer that the turkeys go to someone who has experience with heritage turkeys, but that is not a requirement. If you are looking to start a flock these would be great, along with the addition of a Bourbon Red tom, if you have the space. Serious inquiries only. The photos are of last year's fully grown turkeys at 7-9 months of age.

Hello! I am on the search for some lady friends for my young tom red bourbon. We are mostly into the chickens but bought him one day when we went to a farm to pick up some hens and fell in love. He is extremly tame...but very lonely in a house full of chickens! ha ha! I live in Western Maryland (Garrett County) I saw you were located in PA, I was wondering where exactly to see how far it would be to travel. All of my birds are free range, I open the coop doors in the morning and they are free to go where ever they would like. We live in amish country I do not live on a farm but we have 100's of acres for them to roam. Thank You So Much, Have a Wonderful Evening!

Last edited:
Hi Whitney,
Thanks for your email. I would be happy to sell (or give) my 4 Bourbon Red hens to you for your Bourbon Red tom. My other 10 turkeys are now sold for Thanksgiving, but I am looking for a good home for the 4 hens. They are really great hens and I would rather give them to a good home. (I've raised Bourbon Reds for the past 7 years, but I want to take a break from it this winter, so I'm selling them all). I am in Lancaster County, Pa. I looked at the map, and it looks like a 3-4 hour drive. That would be okay with me, as long as it was a direct trip. I think the turkeys could stand a trip that long as long as it wasn't any longer than 4 hours. let me know if you want any photos or additional information about them.
How many and what kind of chickens do you have? Are you in 4-H?
Thanks,
Anne

Hello ChickenAnnie,

Happy New Year! I relize that this is an old post but I was hoping that you might be able to help me in locating Bourbon Reds for my small farm. I live in the Lehigh Valley near Easton.

Thank you,

Bud

I live in Vermont and am looking to replace my breeding trio that was taken by predation recently. I would purchase your entire flock if still available.
I can be reached at motherearthpam at yahoo.
Thank you,
Pam Baker

Back
Top Bottom