Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
For the last 7 months that we’ve been on this new platform you’ve probably noticed a little “Thumbs Up” icon at the bottom right of each post. This allows members to show their appreciation to other members for a post that they felt was helpful, informative, etc.

We've seen some really great use of this tool and are ready to move onto the next phase in the release of this feature set.

Up until now, when you "thumbs up" someone's post, your feedback accumulates on the user's post and also shows as "Top Rated Posts" on the homepage of the site.

This is helpful, but if a member doesn't go looking they won't know that their post received some recognition. Well, we have a new tool that will help make this information easier to discover and find!

Announcing BYC Ovations!

Our GFM & PPM members got together to give this "reputation" system a name and together came up with "Ovation" (ova from the Latin word ovum meaning egg). We're very excited to have our members use this new feature to encourage and recognize great posts and contributions from their fellow members.

Ovation Overview
  • Ovation is a feature within the forum that allows members to acknowledge other members for leaving posts that are beneficial to the forum and its membership as a whole.
  • Ovations also help to “bubble up” the most helpful information on the forum and make it easier for people to discover.
  • You can leave Ovation points by clicking on the “thumbs up” icon, which appears at the bottom of each member’s post.
  • You have the option of leaving a comment along with your rating. This is highly encouraged.
  • All members start off with 10 Ovation points which will be increased by 1 with every Ovation you receive from other members.
  • Only YOU can see your Ovation level and only YOU can see your Ovation Profile / list of ovations received. This may change in the future if we see that the system is working well, but for now we're starting off slow and steady.
    big_smile.png

You can access your Ovation Level and a list of your ovations by going to your profile and clicking on the "Ovation" link:

Once you click on your "Ovation" link you'll be taken to a page that will show all your ovations given and received:

When should Ovation Points be given?
Ovations should be given to members who make posts that are beneficial to the forum and its membership. When you give points, keep in mind that members with a high ovation level will be perceived as "top members" in the forum. Give points wisely!

When should it NOT be given?
Ovations SHOULD NOT be given for matters of personal gain. This includes giving points to friends just to boost their level, for non-helpful purposes, or anything else that does not benefit the membership as a whole.
NOTE: If we find that a member is abusing this system for their gain or to falsely boost another member’s ovation level we may remove their ovation points.

Ovation Etiquette
  • Do not beg for points
  • Do not create multiple accounts to give points to yourself. You will be caught and all your points removed.
  • Do not give points to a post of a member just because you like them. The POST itself should be worthy of the ovation points.

Here is a screenshot to better illustrate how the system works. In this example, Judy has had 49 people who have given her 53 reputation votes / thumbs up and the total of all this activity means she has accumulated 59 points. NOTE: Sometimes a vote may count for more than just one point, for example, if a moderator gives you an ovation it might count for more than just 1 point.

If you have any questions or ideas with regard to this new system, please let us know. We have GREAT FAITH in our community's ability to use this tool for the common good of our online community and look forward to all our members giving and receiving many Ovations!

clap.gif

clap.gif

clap.gif

clap.gif

Last edited:
Hey everybody, make sure to click the "My Profile" button and then click the new "Ovation" link that shows up in the left side menu. You'll now be able to see a list of all the ovations you've given and received since we moved to this new system!

So, after you have given 10 ovations, you can not give anymore until someone else gives you one?

Sorry for the confusion. You can always give ovation points as long as you aren't trying to "game" the system. The only time you can't give ovations is if you get demoted below 10 points... which would only happen if we discover you aren't using the system properly (as joked around in the post above mine)
wink.png

Sorry for the confusion. You can always give ovation points as long as you aren't trying to "game" the system. The only time you can't give ovations is if you get demoted below 10 points... which would only happen if we discover you aren't using the system properly (as joked around in the post above mine)
wink.png
Okay, I understand now. Thanks!

Hummm, I don't see my 10 Ovations? Are the Ovations retroactive, or is this from inception on? Made sure my account was confirmed. Also, I think the top levels should be named, Silver Coop, Bronze Coop, Gold Coop, Platinum Coop. Love the site, thanks.

Sounds like fun.

Imp- now just gotta remember to use it.

I think Imp's brain has melted in the heat.
I have no idea why I posted a red flag, that is something very different.
idunno.gif

Should be:
images

Imp- I was at the zoo today, got to the imp enclosure, suddenly dawned on me how much smarter chickens are.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom