Approved for chickens in Omaha NE!

BakingNana

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
Nebraska
WOOT WOOT!! Health Dept official just left after looking at our property and giving us a thumbs up! (For any future Omahans looking at this thread, we have a typical suburban lot within city limits). Off to the lumberyard for construction materials for our Cackleberry Cottage. Since we won't be getting chicks till next spring, I 'm going to be able to monitor coop conditions this winter and hopefully be able to correct any deficiencies in weatherproofing before our girls need their home. Thanks to all for this wonderful website!!!

woot.gif

I also live in Omaha, need to get the health dept out to view everything before spending money on a coop. Did the inspector ask questions etc. about your plans. Is there a cost for the permit?

Heat lamp just over the water to keep from freezing and only if supposed to go below freezing and that way it also takes the "chill" out of the air but don't put directly where they roost. We have generators at our house so don't have to worry about losing power.

No cost for the permit at this time, but the inspector said that could change in the future. You know how that goes. Mike was the name of the inspector who came out. They responded to my application quickly. (The application can be found on the Douglas County Health Department website under Permits and Inspections. Just print it out and send it in per instructions.) The inspector will call you to set up a time to come out. He just wants to see that you have a fence and a reasonably-sized yard. If you don't have a coop yet, he will be interested in seeing your plans or at least hearing about them. Believe me, we have a "normal" backyard (just north of 160th and Center) with a 4-foot wood fence. He asked if we had access to electricity for the coop in case they needed a heat lamp in the winter (we do - there is an outlet on that side of our house and we will just run an extension cord if we need to). He could not have been nicer. I asked him if many people in Omaha are keeping chickens, and he said that a few years ago it was nearly unheard of, but in the last 3 years it has exploded! Yea!!! He also said the only "problems" he's heard of were two -- one had chickens killed by their dog, and one guy burned his coop down when his heat lamp fell over.

One note regarding time of year -- he gave me back my application and said to send it in in January and they'd issue the permit. The permit runs from January 1 to December 31st, and he said he was afraid he'd lose it if he kept it until then.
lol.png
I told him I wanted an OK before we went to the expense of building the coop, which is why I sent in the application at this time. He said go ahead and build the coop - you are fine.

GO FOR IT!!

From my experience with the health department, I'd go ahead and request a permit in January. Just note that you did not know you needed one and want to be in compliance with municipal code. As long as your yard is fenced and your coop is safe for the ladies, you're good to go! They'll just come out to look at it. A chance to show it off!
love.gif

Thanks for all the info. I do want to be in compliance but up until a couple of weeks ago, I also had red golden pheasants in my back yard and I don't think those are allowed within the city limits. And now I just have 4 hens. We put up a 6 foot privacy fence that encompasses about 90% of our yard. I am thinking about getting a couple more pullets but not sure what the limit is in the city.
Again thanks for the encouraging words.

Back
Top Bottom