kman

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 24, 2009
hattiesburg,MS
40AEEA66-C1F1-4C87-A3DF-F3C2E91C890B-19652-00001D23A72A2FA0.jpg

BCD2775C-A548-45DA-94C7-4648F213B1B7-19652-00001D2396B6AFF6.jpg

BFD1BBC1-BF95-4566-B638-6D32183AB4AF-19652-00001D237E0E0FD0.jpg

This has been going on in this pen and another pen for quite some time we thought it was natural deaths then some pecking from other birds we got down to two birds both where killed then it moved about 50 feet to another pen and almost whipped it out, but we put one bird back in the original pen it started with and that night it got it, these pens are 3.5' off the ground and u can see from the pic we covered the top to make sure it wasn't a cat sitting on top of the pen reaching in any ideas on what this might be would be greatly appreciated Thanks for taking time to look over this

Your most likely look'n at a rat... But it really could be any of the above. I had been going thru the same thing for over two months. I have well over 100 birds, in many pens. So you dont miss the birds that are just gone right away. But the ones like in your pic make ya wonder. I too thought pen mates at first. I then set up a trail cam. Figured out my problem the first night.... Trail cam is your friend! This is Mr Owl stop'n by for a meal! This pen holds chukar and butler bobs. The owl was caught in mid "stike" on a Bob if ya look close... Some he could shred down and drag thru the wire. Some he would eat what he could and leave the rest n the pen. Some I would find headless.... When I did a head count a week ago, He has taken ALOT of birds....Good Luck, Bill

A rat will normally enter the pen and eat the birds feed. Then kill the bird and eat any feed in the birds crop. Then start on the bird.... Its fairly common believe it or not. Good Luck. Bill

A rat will normally enter the pen and eat the birds feed. Then kill the bird and eat any feed in the birds crop. Then start on the bird.... Its fairly common believe it or not. Good Luck. Bill
Surprised those massive butlers can't defend themselves from a little rat!

Do they all have missing heads? that's a great horned owl trademark but other raptors do it as well.

I would seriously go with raccoon. Get yourself some "duke dog proof traps". Bait with mini marshmallow, cat food, and break open some fish oil capsules. You will get your coons.

Back
Top Bottom