Anyone on Vancouver Island Canada???

Nature Gurl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
Vancouver Island
Hi, I live on Vancouver island. I'm fairly new to keeping chickens but absolutely love them! Just looking for like minded chicken keepers. Wonder how big your flock is and what breeds you keep and like, etc.

I live in Courtenay. I currently have three Bovian brown hens. Got three weeks ago as ready to lay. I have had chickens for 10 years. Love having them. Where abouts are you. Emily

Last edited:
I'm in Coombs! I'm in 4H and I have about 20 chickens, getting more chicks soon! I have Barred Rock bantams and my sister has white Silkies. We will be getting bantam Ameraucanas and black Silkie chicks soon.

That's exciting news, New babies. :) I live in Courtenay. I have three Bovian browns. I had a white silky that passed away in Dec at the age of 9 having a dust bath. I would love to eventually get another female silky. Have fun with your new babies. :)

9! wow. I thought thought they only lived till five. My sister sometimes hatches chicks... Thanks! I'm really excited
woot.gif

They can live a long time, my red rock passed away at 10 this past January, some can live to be 15 yrs old. These are the spoiled chickens. :). The average is around 4 and 5 yrs.

Hi, fellow Canadian! I live ear Edmonton, Alberta on a acreage with new chicks.... Black Copper Marans, Ameraucanas, Dorkings, Jersey Giant Mix, and 3 yet-to-be identified yellow chicks..

Question for those of you here! What's your recommendation for chickens for our climate? Or are they pretty much all able to deal with our west coast weather? I'm looking egg layers and friendly :)

I prefer getting day old chicks that are vaccinated especially for Maerks disease. We can have many different types, I had a silky and she lived to be almost 10 yrs old. I don't see any reason why you couldn't have any type chicken here. My latest I bought are Columbia rock chicks, they are hardy and lay well even in our dark weather months. Red Rocks are hardy too. I find to have friendly chickens is to handle them when their young and continue onward handling. Now saying all that, I have boughten ready to lay from local feed store called Bovian Browns for $12 each and they are very friendly, they are commercial birds. I made sure though they are fully vaccinated. They did however have worms and mites. Easy to treat.

This is a great website, I have learned so much. I'm more caughtious and stay away from poultry swaps. You will learn so much about chickens and they are so much fun. :).

Back
Top Bottom