ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

LaurenLauren2007

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
We are putting the finishing touches on our new 8'X16' coop and needed some recommendations for automatic coop doors. We won't be getting our replacement flock in until May 7th so I have plenty of time to shop around. I was really interested in the ADOR1 door, but it doesn't seem to be very popular yet. Does anyone currently have, did have, or knows of someone that uses this door? I'd like some real life feedback. Here is the page link if that helps:

http://adorstore.com/products/ador1-automatic-chicken-door

I've never heard of the ADOR1 but it certainly looks good.
I have a pullet-shut and love it. Easy to install - took me about an hour or so and most of that was running back and forth from inside to outside because I kept leaving my tools just out of my reach...
It's worked like a charm since day one. Opens with the sunrise - closes at dusk.

If you go with the ADOR, let us know what you think. How it is to install, how it works in different conditions, etc. Always great to have options and opinions available - especially since it seems that we're all always building/re-building/remodeling/etc.

Looks nice but I wanted to keep my vertical space above the door open so I choose the pullet shut door and love it. I do not have the dusk to dawn sensor(wish I had now) but it was very easy to install and seems pretty much bullet proof from dirt, mud, sand, rain(lots of rain in NW) and grand-daughters(one stood on it when it was open). I have the solar charger panel facing south and even in the NW have never had the battery get low. Post your results if you go with the Ador1 door.

Thank you everyone for replying! I have heard only great things about the pullet shut door, but I am a little nervous about the way it opens. We live in Oklahoma and the weather here is anything but standard and predictable. In the winter we get down into the single digits, last summer our high was 112°F, and our wind gust are a force to be reckoned with. I am a little wary of the ADOR1 door because they have created a couple of BYC usernames and "inconspicuously" post good reviews about their door. I'm not sure I like that..... Oh and by the way Fowlplay: I LOVE YOUR COOP!

Several people have recommended a little overhang roof to keep snow off/out. We've had a few REALLY windy days (for VA.) and a couple of snows since I put it up and it's done great. I don't have anything to keep the weather off of it. I suppose if you're worried about the wind/weather you could take some of that corrugated plastic roofing and make sort of a loop around it to protect it..... ?
Here's mine:

That is a good idea. I could make an upside down U around the door. How is the light sensor on the pullet shut? Is it pretty sensitive where it will close on a heavy overcast type of day or does it distinguish the difference between cloud cover and night?

Funny you should ask. The day that I put it up we had a terrible thunder storm in the afternoon. I looked out and noticed that all the chickens were standing in the POURING rain and I got concerned that maybe the door had closed (it was VERY dark for the afternoon). I went out to check on them. The door was open, but since it had only been in the wall for a couple of hours I assume the problem was either that they were nervous about the 'new' monster or that they simply didn't care that it was storming. The storm got much worse for about half an hour and I was 'trapped' in the chicken coop for fear of crossing the open yard with nearly continuous lightening all around.
Looking back it was really funny. I'm in the coop trying to tempt the sopping wet chickens to come in and thinking "I really AM going to be found dead in the chicken coop" and they were outside looking in - probably thinking "I don't know what's got her so upset about but I'm not going in there with it."
gig.gif

Anyway.... all that to say that it has to be very nearly sundown for the door to close.
HOWEVER - Christmas lights on the run fence can fool it into staying open..........

The ADOR1 is the new kid on the block. It looks like they have a well designed product.

I like the gear drive and the photo sensor with advanced features and a delay. That addresses the minor problems that I have with the Poultry Butler. The string has gotten jacked up once and my coop is in a shady spot so the door closes too early with the photo sensor, so I have it running on a timer.

I would buy it.

Back
Top Bottom