Hawks and how to stop them!

chickenlover89

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
Hi all,
Recently I had a hawk attack on one of my seven chickens. Luckily, I was out there, and able to chase the hawk off and the chicken it attacked actually fought it, so no harm was done except a bloody nose which is now fine. I was wondering what the best way to try to avoid more hawk attacks are. My chickens are about 32 weeks old and all are laying and i believe they are full grown. Thanks in advance!

Try to make your coop more secure. The hawk will be back, it knows where food is. You could also hang old CDs around, when the sun shines on them it will give the hawk an illusion that there are people around and wont attack. Good Luck!

Try to make your coop more secure. The hawk will be back, it knows where food is. You could also hang old CDs around, when the sun shines on them it will give the hawk an illusion that there are people around and wont attack. Good Luck!
Thank you! And the attack was while they were free ranging, not in the coop.

I am so sorry! I am having the same problem. I hope you figure out how to make your girls safe. It is so frustrating.

You need a covered run or leave them in the coop full time.
Did you check for puncture wounds?

There's a TON of info on this forum about predator protection. Do some reading.

I'm surprised that you have 2600 posts in 6 months and aren't familiar with this issue yet.

You need a covered run or leave them in the coop full time.
Did you check for puncture wounds?

There's a TON of info on this forum about predator protection. Do some reading.

I'm surprised that you have 2600 posts in 6 months and aren't familiar with this issue yet.
Ok, I do have a covered run to keep them in I just prefer not to. And yes I checked for puncture wounds, nothing. And I know a little bit but not a ton

So im guessing it was in broad daylight? and you were near the area? wow that hawk will def be back maybe a lgd just to throw it out there cheap if your lucky free and if you have other livestock theyre great with others. i have several and they bark at hawks coyotes they drag up dead coons and groundhogs..
I LIKE THE CD IDEA DOES IT WORK?

I kinda have the same problem, have seen the hawk's fling over my flock. I let them out during the day when I'm out & my dog's. So no attacks yet and when I see them I yell. But I'm thinking about a scare crow that I could set up just in case I come in for a few minutes. And I will be reading the predator post

I lost my first hen to a hawk two weeks ago. :( I am glad you where able to chase it off. I weighed the options and went ahead and built a covered run. I think unfortunately free range comes with a risk - and also tons of rewards - you just have to consider the pros and cons and do what is best for you. If you want to insure absolutely no loss then I think a super secure cover run/coop is the best and maybe only bet. But, I also understand why you don't want to keep them cooped up

The only other thing I can think of is to start very seriously working with a dog or having some other large animal guardian animal that will deter it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom