Geese and predators

Bellatrixed

Songster
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Okay, so! I have owned geese in the past, but I've never kept them past a year or so. My yard was also much less "wild" (i.e. grown in) when I owned them. I never had a goose lost to predators, but I used to have terrible problems with foxes taking ducks and chickens. I hear coyotes howling almost every night and have seen red foxes darting across the yard during the day.

I made the decision to get chickens again this year, but I decided to make them a roofed, fenced pen and make use of predator-proof chicken tractors rather than letting them free range, because I'm convinced if I let them loose the predators would have a field day. But... now I'm thinking I would really love to have a small flock of geese again...

The only thing is, I'm afraid of predators. I fully understand freak predator attacks and losses of birds can happen in any situation, but what I want to know is: are geese reasonably safe from foxes and coyotes if they range in a mostly open, fenced area during the day and are penned at night? Or does the mere fact I hear coyotes/occasionally see foxes mean they would be decimated quickly?

X2 what Celtic said - I lost a goose two nights ago to a cat..I think. Geese can still get killed just as easy as everything else.

Can you start trying to trap/shoot some of those foxes and such?

~ Aspen

Geese can be taken down by foxes as well as ducks, chickens or whatever else birds you can have. I know that peacocks can be taken down as well. But have a funny story about when I had peacocks. One day I seen a fox running like a bat out of hell and behind it were 3 of my peacocks chasing that nasty fox!!! I have a great dane that enjoys chasing the foxes. Now not sure if she would chase coyotes or not?

Bleh, thanks guys! So how do you keep your geese safe from predators during the day then? I have the safe night housing down, but it's during the day when they're vulnerable. My yard is fenced and crossfenced but that doesn't keep out the foxes or the rare coyote. I guess I'll have to say no to geese then. :(

Bleh, thanks guys! So how do you keep your geese safe from predators during the day then? I have the safe night housing down, but it's during the day when they're vulnerable. My yard is fenced and crossfenced but that doesn't keep out the foxes or the rare coyote. I guess I'll have to say no to geese then. :(
Hot wire,Premier 1 has fencing that would work to keep out foxes and coyotes but you can probably find it other places too.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=78
also a trained Livestock guardian dog.

Last edited:
Our goose breeding pens are made out of T-Pots, 5' cattle panels, and welded wire. Our duck/chicken yard is just T-Posts with 4' chainlink wire to it. Nothin' fancy.

Miss Lydia, has a good idea on fencing...it would be a lot easier and probably cheaper. : )

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom