Wichita Cabin Coop design computer models and material list

baldessariclan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Wichita, KS
In response to requests for plans to build this coop, we offer the following package:
  • 2 "SketchUp" 3D computer models of the Wichita Cabin Coop design (1 of basic framing details, and 1 of entire coop)
  • PDF document of "Wichita Cabin Coop Building Guidelines & Material List"

The SketchUp files contain complete 3D computer models of the coop design -- basically like having an already built coop to refer to and copy from. You can view all the individual parts, see how they fit together, extract measurements / dimensions for them, and even adjust / modify the design if you wish. Note that you will need the "SketchUp" program installed on your computer to open the model files (available free off the web at http://www.sketchup.com). If you are not familiar with SketchUp, it's easy to learn the basics via online tutorials or similar (e.g.
, etc.).

The PDF document "Wichita Cabin Coop Building Guidelines & Material List" contains:
  • complete listing of recommended building materials and tools
  • general construction hints
  • coop location considerations and pointers
  • construction recommendations for details such as the foundation, nesting box, doors, and windows

If you would like to obtain copies of these files, please contact us via PM, e-mail at [email protected], or call (316) 681-8181. We accept payment via "PayPal", check, or cash. Feel free to contact us anytime if you have additional questions or need more information. Thank you for your interest, and good luck with your coop project!

John & Donna Baldessari
(316) 681-8181
[email protected]

Last edited:
We built our coop a few years ago just looking at your photos and it was not easy. I had to draw up plans from the photos. Thank you for putting this together for future builders. You ROck!

Reprinted here per request / with permission of Phillip H.:

Donna,

Here is a pic of my finished chicken house. We have 6 chickens in it and get about 5 eggs a day. I tried to figure out how to write a recommendation on the BYC website but couldn't so you can post this if you want.

Donna's plans for the Wichita chicken coop on google sketch up were extremely easy to follow. Google sketch up was awesome to use and made working from framing to the minor details in the coop very easy. We have 6 happy healthy ckickens.

Thanks.

Phillip

We didn't really keep track of costs while building -- material purchases were spread out over several months, as the design evolved / was built. However, would estimate final cost to probably be somewhere in the $800 - $1,000 range for ours.

I was able to use some recycled materials (e.g. paving stones for foundation, old 2x4 wall studs for part of the framing), but tended to spend a lot for other new materials that were high quality and/or aesthetically pleasing (e.g. screws for construction, metal roofing, hardware cloth screening, ship-lap siding boards, etc.). I was (personally) more concerned with functionality and looks than holding to a tight budget for our project.

That said, there is no reason the coop couldn't be built for a lot less if recycled (i.e. free) or less costly building materials are available / used. For example, one could substitute nails for screws, composite shingles for metal roofing, chicken wire for hardware cloth, chipboard sheets for ship-lap board walls, etc. So if you are a good scrounger or bargain hunter, suspect you might be able to get the cost down around to $300 - $400, or maybe even lower!

• Υπολογιστικά μοντέλα σχεδιασμού Wichita Cabin Coop και λίστα υλικών

A question - how is the frame mounted to the foundation? Is it fastened at all, or held in place by gravity?

Thanks.

Our coop currently just rests on its paving stone “foundation” – it is not attached to it. We did it this way since we wanted the option to be able to move it someday, if necessary. We haven’t had any major issues with this yet – a little settling in one corner, but otherwise has remained remarkably stable so far.

Note that our back yard is fairly well sheltered from high winds. If building a coop like this out in the open, probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to consider anchoring it down somehow (e.g. corner posts set in concrete, anchors used to hold down metal sheds, or etc.).

Back
Top Bottom