Sherwood, AR

catro12

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Sherwood, Arkansas
Hi there! Anyone in the Sherwood/ North Little Rock area? I have 3-week old chicks that are out-growing their brooder box faster than you can say "Here chick, chick, chick!" My brother offered to build a chicken coop, and I know he means well, but he is so slow! Only thing he's done so far is level the pavers and buy a bunch of supplies. ARGH. I swear, I ought to just train the girls to use the bathroom and make the bed and let them room-in with me. Anyway, would love to chat/meet fellow chicken lovers in the area. This is my first adventure in chicken-raising so it would be nice to have someone to talk to. It would probably be nice to have a referal to an avian vet too, just in case. Thanks for sharing!!

Hey I'm in Sherwood. I'm wanting to start raising chickens in my backyard but I don't know anything about it! Haha, I wasn't even sure if it's legal or not in Sherwood :p

It is legal, "as long as they are contained and don't become a nuisance." They also said you're not supposed to have more than four, but Tractor Supply wouldn't sell me less than six due to state regulations. We have a 5 x 10 chicken coop so the girls have plenty of room. They are a lot of fun to watch. There's great information on this forum and I feel like I learn about them daily. Real easy to keep them so far. Mine are 10 1/2 weeks old - not laying yet.

Sherwood here too. 4 little hens (5 weeks old). Best vet would be Dr. Marilyn Baeyens, she also works with the LR Zoo. She is at North Hills Animal Hospital right there at the light close to Boomerang car wash.

Yes, thank you. It said, " In all circumstances, such fowl shall be maintained no closer than One
Hundred Feet from any 1 residential structure or public street.

I live just out of Sherwood City limits which means I don't have these rules although I live in a neighborhood! You ladies might want to double check that you fall under sherwood ordinances. Honestly I have found that I LOVE chicken tractors. They are portable and allow chickens access to the ground for fresh grass/greens, and to hunt for insects without them being unprotected/uncontained. You move the tractor around every few days and they are providing free fertilizer rather than in a perminent run where the chickens will kill all the grass and turn it into a poop pit! Blech!
I think the rule is you can have 4 hens NO ROOS and they can't annoy your neighbors... really if your neighbors don't complain then whose going to know?

any one know where I can buy hens? Sherwood at
You can go to the Beebe flea market. Do you know what kind of hens you want? I just got a silver speckled hamburg there
silver-spangled-hamburg.jpg

This is what she looks like (not her though obvi). She is a bantam. I also have a roo and a hen white silkies.
white_silkies_large.jpg

Again not them just a breed picture!

I found bantams a great choice because they are much smaller then the standard size. I like silkies for their looks and personalities!

Right now it might be harder to get into chickens because the time of year there aren't as many chicks being born. I know the lady I bought my silkies from is stopping incubating for winter... and there is a lady in Conway named Michelle Tucker but I have heard through several sources that her birds are sick so I personally wouldn't buy from her.

If you do buy in Beebe then you do run the risk of diseases too, and since you would get multiple hens at the same time and probably from different people there wouldn't be a way to quarantine them when they would all be in close proximity in your vehicle.

Do more research and find out what breed you want then get back to me! There are MANY choices. Right now I'm waiting to get more silkies, two mystery breeds, and 3 silver sebrights!
Silver_Sebright_hen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom