Changing Throop's Chicken and Duck Laws

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
A few years back I looked everywhere for chicken laws in Throop PA. Couldn't find any. I called the borough building and they said no you can't keep them. I printed out some information from the links provided in the sticky and made up a petition for people to sign. I have 2 signatures so far. I have loud parrots so I doubt the noise of hens and ducks would be an issue. Plus my neighbors are usually supportive and pretty interested in my pet projects. I would like whatever advice you guys can give me in regards to getting the law changed.

Just an update, I have 7 signatures and I talked to a council member and gave him my packet of persuasive information. I also contacted a very proactive neighbor and he contacted his partner and they are looking into whether there even is a law in the first place because she recalls people keeping chickens in the past.

Still no progress on the Poultry laws in Throop, PA. I'm afraid to go back to the Borough Building ever since I got yelled at. I have a duck now and I fear for her safety. I'm also afraid that if I make a big deal about the law that the zoning officer will go after my house and start pointing out problems with it. I have never seen this law in writing and it isn't online. I know this is a lot to ask but can someone make some story up and call Throop Borough and request the laws in writing be sent to them? I'm afraid to ask for them myself. I just want to be able to let my duck out in the yard without having to worry about fines and her being taken off me. My neighbor is even okay with her but I'm scared that isn't enough.

I don't want the world. Just 2 ducks and a goose. They would stay inside sometimes and would be loved pets. I'm 20 now and I've been haunted by this law for a long time. I'm sorry but I refuse to let my dream of having imprinted waterfowl go.
I was diagnosed with
Asperger syndrome when I was younger. It is a form of Autism. Pets, especially birds are my way of coping with not having many friends. They keep me busy. I have always had parrots in my life. They are great pets but they don't exactly show their affection well. However I discovered that waterfowl can imprint and form a bond with their owner that no other animal can replicate. I see no reason that if I can own a parrot, that screams loud enough to be heard from a block away, why can't I own a duck that is much quieter. Parrots poop everywhere and so do ducks. If you think about it parrots are much more of a problem for a town than the poor ducks are but parrots aren't bothered merely because they are classified as pets. What makes a duck so different that they cannot be a pet?

I went over and they want $18 for the zoning ordinance book. This town is ridiculous and this thread is dead. I guess I'm just talking to myself at this point..

Sorry to hear it, Duck n cover...we're part-time in Moscow, zoned agricultural, so no problem, and part-time in long island. In my town here there is a six hen limit, but I don't think ducks/other fowl ok. There has been quite a lot of talk about chickens in backyards of late, lots in the local newspaper...could you check out the times or tribune to see if they did any feature stories? You might find some like-minded locals.

Back
Top Bottom