Lost a baby chick -- diagnosis?

chickenlady55

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
Hello BYC!

New to the forum but am hoping to get some helpful information from fellow chicken lovers.

We just lost a 3-4 day old baby Americauna chick. She just seemed very lethargic, was breathing heavy, and head her head down and eyes closed. We checked the temperature and it was fine. Also, we have 3 other Americaunas that we got with her from our local farm store (Sparr Building Supply) and they are all doing fine.

So I did a little research online and saw some suggestions about sugar water. So we cleaned out an eye-dropper and mixed a very small amount of sugar with water. We then picked her up out of her pen and gave her some of it. She drank some but then after a few drops, she started moving funny and we think she had a stroke. Then she passed away in our hands.

Does any one have an idea of what may have happened? I am just so incredibly sad and feel as if it is all my fault.

I hope the little baby chick knows that even though she was only here a short time that she was very loved.

Thank you, everyone.

ChickenLady55

We had chicks that did the same thing, most were younger though. Lethargic, couldn't stand, some would seem to convulse before they died. It was awful to watch. I don't know if it was a tough trip, but once they started going downhill, nothing would help.

Sorry for your loss :(

We had chicks that did the same thing, most were younger though. Lethargic, couldn't stand, some would seem to convulse before they died. It was awful to watch. I don't know if it was a tough trip, but once they started going downhill, nothing would help.

Sorry for your loss :(

So sad for your baby chicks, as well. Thank you for sharing your story, though. <3

I lost one chick young out of a 29 chick hatch, and then another at about 2 weeks. After speaking to the breeder, she said it is often internal issues that cause us to lose chicks, especially if the others have no problems. I have a feather eater now at 8 weeks and she said it's often a stunted or mentally impaired chicken that does this... her view on sick or dying chickens is they usually die for a reason that nature intended, not poor care.

She may be more cutthroat than others, but she is a farmer after all.. and considers it the circle of life.

I was devastated when we lost two baby chicks last years and to be honest it's we got them two days ago and pretty stressful with the 1213 batch too, but no matter how well you care for them sometimes baby chicks just die.

As for sugar water, other than one time immediately after hatching I don't think it's a good idea.

Last edited:
Sounds like a weak chick :( sorry for your loss. I had two that I lost out of 30 chicks - they just got weak and wouldn't walk and slept a lot more than the others. My husband and I swapped shifts of every half hour dropper feelings and waterings with no luck. Heartbreaking to watch them fade away :(

Perhaps sounding mean, but chickens die. I just lost 1 of 15 in the first week, and consider that acceptable. Just like people and all animals some are weaker, and some are stronger and some just die. If your care is good, with proper diet, clean quarters you should not feel too bad. It is the cycle of life.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I understand that some chicks just don't make it but this one was especially tough for us b/c we lost 10 chickens on the same day due to a dog attack. :(

I know they are all waiting at the rainbow bridge -- happy & healthy. <3

Yep, sounds like a weak chick....a little sugar won't hurt for a day or two but you're better off with vitamin/electrolyte mixture from the farm store.

Hello BYC!

New to the forum but am hoping to get some helpful information from fellow chicken lovers.

We just lost a 3-4 day old baby Americauna chick. She just seemed very lethargic, was breathing heavy, and head her head down and eyes closed. We checked the temperature and it was fine. Also, we have 3 other Americaunas that we got with her from our local farm store (Sparr Building Supply) and they are all doing fine.

So I did a little research online and saw some suggestions about sugar water. So we cleaned out an eye-dropper and mixed a very small amount of sugar with water. We then picked her up out of her pen and gave her some of it. She drank some but then after a few drops, she started moving funny and we think she had a stroke. Then she passed away in our hands.

Does any one have an idea of what may have happened? I am just so incredibly sad and feel as if it is all my fault.

I hope the little baby chick knows that even though she was only here a short time that she was very loved.

Thank you, everyone.

ChickenLady55
==
See How To Deal With Travel Stress In Baby Chicks thread in this Raising Baby Chicks forum.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom