The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Outrun Acres

Songster
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Northwest Arkansas
I have been browsing on the "sticky" Ameraucana thread lately and it seemed to me that there was a need to create a thread where members could discuss everything about Ameraucanas. Members should feel free to comment and ask questions about anything that has to do with Ameraucanas on this thread. Anyone can post pictures of APA-Standard birds, Purebred Non-Standard birds, Project Birds and even EE's! (Even though there are already wonderful EE threads out there). Feel free to discuss the standard of perfection for the breed as well. I hope that all subscribers of this thread will keep an open mind and not criticize other peoples differing opinions. Lets create a warm friendly and informative environment for both old-timers and new-comers alike.

I have been referred to the Ameraucana Breeders Club webpage by other members where they have a scrapbook tab that provides pictures of the APA standard colors for the breed. Any bird that does not phenotypically match one of the standard 8 colors can not be considered an APA Standard Bird. As it stands now the breeders club claims that regardless of parentage, offspring that does not fall into one of these color categories is considered an EE. (I have hard time making sense of this and have been criticized on other Ameraucana threads for questioning the SOP of the breed). On this thread feel free to adhere to the SOP or refer to said offspring as Non-Standard Ameraucanas. EE's include crossbreeds. A Non-Standard Ameraucana is not a cross breed. Since most of the controversy with this breed revolves around color. Here is a like to the ABC websites scrapbook page that contains pictures of all 8 APA- standard colors of Ameraucanas. Have I confused anyone yet?
wink.png

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

If your opinion differs from mine, please feel free to state your own. I would like people of differing opinions to feel welcome on this thread!

Wonderful idea for a thread. I'm proud to join in. Not all of my Amies are purebred, but that doesn't give them any less value to me.

I love my blue-bottomed Olive Egger girls, and am always experimenting with different combos to get different EE's from them. Nothing quite as pretty as a Black Sparkle or Blue Bottom EE. I am currently breeding a pure white EE bearded Hen with a white Polish Tophat Roo to try to get a white chicken with a beard and hippy hair that lays blue eggs. hahaha! I Hope these eggs hatch and produce the desired result!

Also, I went to the link that you posted: 3/4 of my Amies are colored perfectly like what I see for those appropriate colors, so I guess (since they were sold to me as Amies) and they meet the SOP, that means that they are Amies and not EE's? Who woulda thunk it? ;)

Last edited:
Wonderful idea for a thread. I'm proud to join in. Not all of my Amies are purebred, but that doesn't give them any less value to me.

I love my blue-bottomed Olive Egger girls, and am always experimenting with different combos to get different EE's from them. Nothing quite as pretty as a Black Sparkle or Blue Bottom EE. I am currently breeding a pure white EE bearded Hen with a white Polish Tophat Roo to try to get a white chicken with a beard and hippy hair that l;ays blue eggs. hahaha! I Hope these eggs hatch and produce the desired result!
Thank you for joining the thread! I hope more members decide to join. I really like Ameraucanas, but because my opinions differed from members on the other thread I was not well received. Ameraucana projects are so interesting to me! Please feel free to post anything you want about your current projects whether they are technically considered Ameraucanas or not. They are great birds there seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding the breed, and a lot of very consfused newcomers. I was definitely one of them! I hope there will be not need to "hide under chairs" on this thread.
big_smile.png

Your pullet is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for posting pictures. How did you achieve that color? If you don't mind me asking.
smile.png
its not my pullet, its a "Chocolate Cuckoo" Maran pullet from a friend in the UK, would love to see that color on Ameraucanas

they are like your normal Barred colored birds but with sex linked Chocolate(as in chocolate orps)

its not my pullet, its a "Chocolate Cuckoo" Maran pullet from a friend in the UK, would love to see that color on Ameraucanas

they are like your normal Barred colored birds but with sex linked Chocolate(as in chocolate orps)

I think it would look great on an Ameraucana. I don't know if anyone on here has a project going that involves the "chocolate cuckoo" color or if it's possible. It would be fun to experiment and find out though.

A member on another thread I subscribe to posted these thoughts. I thought they made some very good points.

I can see both sides of the argument.
Yes, if you breed a 100% guaranteed purebred Ameraucana to another, the offspring must be purebred Ameraucana. But the breed standard says they only have to breed true 50% of the time - which goes back to Gifa's comment about some bad blood in the line somewhere if you ask me. I can see the occasional "sport" but if you can't get a lot closer to 100%, there is probably too much "if I add this other breed into the line just this one time to improve such and such a feature" going on in the Ameraucana lineage. I've seen it in other breed threads. Want to get the weight up, add some of this "other breed" - never mind that the "other breed" was NEVER used in the development of the breed they are working on. But they still want to say the offspring are the "original" breed they started with. Mix and match all you like, but come up with a new name if you ask me.

This is from the Ameraucana Breeders Club web page:
"Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken."

So it seems they agree that an Ameraucana can be an Easter Egger
big_smile.png
I imagine they are hoping to up that 50% by removing the "non-standards" from the breeding pool. The easiest way to do that is to call them something OTHER than Ameraucana. There can't be an APA Easter Egger breed until there is a repeatable process to breed them and know that you will get what you EXPECT to get (not withstanding that 50% Ameraucana thing). But EEs can be any breed crossed with any other breed as long as there is some Araucana or Ameraucana showing up in some fashion - beard, muff, blue or green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom