How many eggs can a quail lay a day?

quail1999

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
Hi!

I have 4 lovely coturnix quail hens who live with their 2 roos. Although, it seems like they are laying 5-6 eggs a day. Is this possible for a quail to lay more than one egg a day?

big_smile.png
Thanks

It's not usual but certainly not unheard of for a coturnix to lay two eggs per day if she's young, healthy, comfortable, and well-fed. It sounds like you're doing something right!
Just make sure you keep providing your girls with a constant source of calcium and high-quality feed so that their bodies aren't depleted too quickly.

The only times I've had a hen lay 2 eggs in a day, and it is rare, is when they for whatever reason miss a day or two of laying an egg. All hens have more than one egg inside them at one time, but rarely have them both ready to come out at the same time.

when i first got quail i just feed them on chicken layers ration. i didnt realise this was far to much for them and it resulted in them laying up-words of 2 eggs a day, but this made them very drained and weak so i would not recommend!

when i first got quail i just feed them on chicken layers ration. i didnt realise this was far to much for them and it resulted in them laying up-words of 2 eggs a day, but this made them very drained and weak so i would not recommend!

Chicken ration actually has less stuff in it then game bird ration. Game bird feed has higher protein along with a couple other things chicken feed doesn't have. The reason they seemed to be drained more than likely was due to them not being fed the proper feed, and as a result not receiving all the necessary nutrients that they needed .

Chicken ration actually has less stuff in it then game bird ration. Game bird feed has higher protein along with a couple other things chicken feed doesn't have. The reason they seemed to be drained more than likely was due to them not being fed the proper feed, and as a result not receiving all the necessary nutrients that they needed .

agree

I also have 2 coturnix quail i wasnt sure of the sexes yet as they are so young but today I found 2 eggs in the cage, i feed them a mixture of dove quail seed in one dish, one dish and chick feed in another dish, they also get whole wheat bread crumbs and oystershell calcium, when they were real small i even gave them small amounts of moist kitten food, they also seem to really love fresh chopped up dandilion and bugs too, i was wondering how to tell the sex, i have seen the white foam from the vent of one but not the other, maybe i have a male and a female, dont really care, just love these as pets and they are so cool to listen to too,

Hey pegspets,

The easiest way for sexing is checking the neck of quail.If its neck is spotted with some small dots,so its female.Or if its neck unspotted or spotted but the color is red.Then it is male.

I have 2 female quails and yesterday i found 5 eggs. That was the first time havin eggs after getting them as babies about 6 months plus ago. I have 5 quails i thought 4 were female but i noticed the white ones(3) started fighting so i took 2 white males away and left one with the 2 females i know for sure are s annd less then a week later i find 5 eggs in one day.

Back
Top Bottom