Country Hatchery. Wewoka, Oklahoma

I ordered some Barred Rocks that are supposed to be here in a couple of weeks. I have heard really great things about them and I am very excited!

Yes, I have ordered chickens and guineas from Country Hatchery. Ordered my chickens in Feb of this year (2013.) I was very happy with my chicken order. I ordered 5 each of sexed Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Buff Orpingtons. I received 6 each of two breeds and 7 of the other, one chick died, so I now have 18 (six of each breed), and they all still look like hens! Usually hatcheries throw in an extra or two or three "to keep them warm in shipping" and they're always roosters. These guys are laying already, they're going gangbusters and they're only 5 months old.

The guineas I was slightly less satisfied with, the spring weather was so messed up here that it affected the guineas laying, so I was supposed to receive my guineas "mid-to-late May" and I didn't get them until almost a month late. To their credit, Country did stay in touch and did let me know each week that they wouldn't be able to fill my order that week. I found some guineas local to me, so I called to cancel my order and they said it was already setting, so they couldn't do that without charging me. I understand that the weather was beyond their control and I was glad that they stayed in touch, but I thought that it would have been more fair if they had simply canceled my order when I asked, since I had been waiting so long. After a long conversation with the manager they did guarantee me that they would for sure ship out the first of the next week, and they did.

So that was a touch annoying, if I had chosen to push it I could have fought it through my credit card but I didn't want to do that. They're nice folks, and I like supporting the local businesses over the big national hatcheries like Murray. They did a great job shipping everyone, and they always call to notify that they're being shipped and so forth. The customer service was great.

The only other thing I wish they'd do is set up their website to order, instead of having to call, fax, or email in the order and call with the credit card number.

So yes, I'd recommend Country, they get 4 out of 5 stars because of the minor issues but I'd definitely still use them again.

Hope this helps. :)

Just received my chicks this morning. They were lively and appear healthy. Hatchery called to make sure I received them and that I was satisfied. They price of the chicks and the shipping was the best that I found. In fact, I saved $100.00 dollars ordering from them compared to the Murray McMurray hatchery. I ordered the Ameraucana chicks.
Also, other hatcheries didn't have a large selection of chicks available at this time. Thought it would be to my advantage to get them now so that they could grow over the winter and start laying in the spring.

Last edited:
(405) 257-1236 Country Hatchery. I emailed them also and they replied back promptly. I would imagine they would call back quickly if you left a message.

Last edited:
Just placed another order with Dennis of Country Hatchery for more Muscovy ducks. I ordered 15 chickens last year along with a mixed batch of Muscovy. I received 16 chickens and all of them were hens. I received my chickens in May last year and they started laying around the end of October. The eggs are delicious, the hens are productive, and all is well. Of the mixed Muscovy order, 9 out of 11 turned out to be male. Slight drag, but I can say emphatically, that 8 of those males were delicious. I just ordered a straight run of blue pied Muscovy to round out the diversity of my flock, and barring something awful like a racoon or bear, I should be good to go. Country Hatchery is a small, family business that I believe produces birds with great genetics. They specialize in Muscovy ducks, and this is some of the best meat I've ever eaten.

Back
Top Bottom