Nevada NPIP

Christabelle

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2012
Dayton NV
I decided to inquire about getting my NPIP certification and this is the response I got.

"Hello Christal,

If your goal is NPIP certification we would have to schedule an inspection of your flock. You do need to show that you have a bio-secure area for your birds (no co-mingling with wild birds, rodent control plan and protected feed storage). If you show birds they have to be kept separate from your production flock and you have to have adequate facilities to maintain that separation. I would have to charge you time and mileage to come to your facility. Depending on the size of your flock you have to test every bird annually (<300 birds) or a representative sample for Salmonella and Mycoplasma sp. The cost per bird is approx. $4 for the two. Please feel free to call me at 775-353-3700 to discuss this further. Thank you! "

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how I would keep my chickens away from wild birds... We have some little birds! Keeping feed locked up makes sense... But would my farm cats count as a rodent control program? (Lol), this really does not seem doable for a small hobby farm. I like letting my chooks run around my property during the day. Are y'all from other states NPIP certs this stringent?

I know this is old post from 2012, but I am getting flocks on board with this for 2015. I can help personally. No charge. I am gonna make the state of Nevada do npip !!!

Michele

I know this is a old thread but just in case anyone is still looking into NPIP & Avian Influenza for the State of Nevada I am now tester for the State. We are still getting the program up and going. I should be fully equipped and paperwork created and systems set up to start testing in April. My Non-Profit company is going to be the basis for operating the program and when everything is ready for people to start filing to get the testing done I will be posting that information on our site (HVTBA.ORG) and social media sites. You can find our contact info there. Jen will be able to answer your questions or be able to get back to you with the info you need. This has been a long time coming and I am really happy that we will have it soon.

This interests me! I'm not far from silver springs myself.. And if you know how to keep those lil birds out of my feed....

Ladies and Gentlemen, That time has finally come!!! The Nevada NPIP program is up and running and you can now submit your applications!!! Once your application is processed, I will be dispatched to you to do your certification testing. I would highly advise everyone to check the box to have your birds tested for Avian Influenza as well. It's free and covered by a USDA grant. When filling out the form, you will see a section labeled "Primary use of flock". The majority will answer "Fancier/egg production". If you have any questions as to how to fill out the form let me know. All payments, as well as your forms, will need to be sent to the address on the form. I am not able to do this. It has to be done through the state. Once you have sent your document in, it is important that you let me know so I can follow up to make sure your application is processed ASAP. After that, it will be myself solely that will be coming to your property, as I am the only Poultry Inspector in the State. This has been a very very long time coming and I have worked my ***** off to get this program off the ground and running. I hope that many of you will take advantage of this program and I hope to see many of you soon to test your birds. This is another big milestone in the effort to normalize owning backyard chickens and to strengthen the health of the birds in our community.

You can find the form here:
https://db.tt/5YO9DXGi

Respectfully,
SGT Dennis M Stuckey II (USMC)

HVTBA, President/Founder.
A Non-Profit Veteran Service Organization
[email protected]
(702) 377-9171 Phone/Text
HVTBA.ORG

So glad to have found this! I am restarting a nice flock and need to find out all things NPIP. I understand some of it. Just questions like do we have to have a minimum number to apply for testing and general costs. I live close to Elko.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom