The Run thread

redneck farmer

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
in the swamp killin hawgs
Look there is coop threads, mobile coop threads, small coop big coops garden coops,.. So lets dedicate this thread to the runs!!!! There has to be some cool lookin runs out there or run I ideas so share them!
This is looking into my run when my chickens were little!-

Neat Idea for a thread, I like it
thumbsup.gif

Runs can be tricky can't they? I mean, you have to have a perfect balance between: Land that its taking up, enough room for the birds, and being able to mange everything!

Ok, I'll play! I haven't done any of the fun landscaping (plants, hanging baskets, tree, couple small bushes etc), but here's our run. I'm in a suburb where chickens are not allowed, (yes, I have great neighbors!) so we've stayed a little on the small side. We have only 3 birds. The ground cover is 1/2 sand and 1/2 large bark. I found myself unable to commit. I love sand, but it seemed kind of boring. The wood chips look great and will get nice an buggy I'm sure, but if they retain too much moisture, I'll scoop 'em out and put them elsewhere. The frames have been planted with grass seed, they can climb around and pluck the grass with out scratching up the roots. The Little Tikes house is not their coop, just a play house (dry sand for bathing, grit, calcium etc). The area to the right of the little house is for grass clipping weeds, etc--right now it's filled with pine straw, which proved to be wonderful ground cover through the winter.

Ok, I'll play! I haven't done any of the fun landscaping (plants, hanging baskets, tree, couple small bushes etc), but here's our run. I'm in a suburb where chickens are not allowed, (yes, I have great neighbors!) so we've stayed a little on the small side. We have only 3 birds. The ground cover is 1/2 sand and 1/2 large bark. I found myself unable to commit. I love sand, but it seemed kind of boring. The wood chips look great and will get nice an buggy I'm sure, but if they retain too much moisture, I'll scoop 'em out and put them elsewhere. The frames have been planted with grass seed, they can climb around and pluck the grass with out scratching up the roots. The Little Tikes house is not their coop, just a play house (dry sand for bathing, grit, calcium etc). The area to the right of the little house is for grass clipping weeds, etc--right now it's filled with pine straw, which proved to be wonderful ground cover through the winter.

Thats a beautiful run!!
The chickens are proud of you! lol
D.gif

Here is a picture of my run when I built the coop. It looks a little different having now gone through the winter.
It is a little muddier now, but not too bad. It currently is wrapped 3 sides with clear reinforced tarps and the top has a tarp covering as well.
I also added some old silo blocks to create a 3' x 10' cement walk or pad that comes straight out from the poop door. This acts as a feeding floor for scratch and other items
and keeps them out of the mud if we have a lot of rain. I plan on adding some sand inside the coop this summer and may add some small gravel around the outer parimeter.
The trees were a great touch because they sit out there all the time and with the tarps they have been out all winter roosting and love the outdoors.
One more change I plan on making is to add a cross support from the back of the coop to the the out side fence so that I can have more of a gable type roof with the tarp to shed rain and melting snow.

Thnks for looking,

Mark

We need to enlarge the run on our coop. This gives me a good idea of what we can do, thanks. I definitely want one I can walk into so it can be cleaned properly.

Back
Top Bottom