Introducing new chicks to the coop

Happychickie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Hello I'm a new chicken mommy I currently have 17 chicks about 1 to 2 weeks old ( 5 Silkies, 2 Wynadottes, 2 Cochins( I think these girls are 1 week older then rest as they are getting wings in and larger?), 3 Americana's, 1 Australorp, 2 Polish Crested, & 2 Mille Fleur's. Also 9 more on the way on the 15th ( 2 bantam Americana's, 1 Silver crested Polish, 1 blue Maran, 1 Silver cuckoo Maran, 1 light Brahma, 1 Buff Brahma, & 2 more Silkie females. Once my second order gets here I plan to have separate for a couple weeks since they will only be 3 days old or so . So now that you all know ages I was wondering how to introduce them all together, when I should do? Can I place the first batch in coop first since they will be close to 2 weeks older and ready to get out of house? Or will this cause an issue? I want them ALL to get along as a nice family I have all different types and sizes and chose ones that are suppose to be sweet chickens.? Would love some input on this one. Also can we put them in coupe with heat light if we make a kiddie section? I was just worried about fire danger since they are down below on property.

Thanks I have so many questions as I learn to be a good Chicken momma!
yippiechickie.gif

Up to a month difference usually isn't a problem when integrating chicks. A separate but within sight enclosure for a week or two would give the small ones a chance to grow a little but have heard that two weeks difference it is not really necessary. Make positively sure the heat lamp cannot fall onto any flammable objects! Don't try to heat the whole coop just an area/s large enough that they can warm themselves but can also get away from the heat if necessary.The older ones may still need a warm area(but not as warm as the small ones) till they are fully feathered, usually about 5 weeks. That being said mine were brooded indoors(65 degrees) and didn't want the extra heat after they were about 3 weeks old. The silkies usually take a little longer to feather from what I've read.

We just placed our checks out in their coop three days ago and today my wife scurried them outside. But after it got dark chicks did not go back in the coop. They are all feathered out except for maybe one who's got a little ways to go we call her the runt. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes for chickens to understand the need to go back in the coop at night. I believe it's just a matter of time for my wife thinks everything should happen instantly. Anyone have any suggestions

I have mixed brooders all the time. At the age they are, integrating them should not be an issue. I just dump them all in together. After about six weeks, I've noticed that there are some pecking order issues that tend to have to be taken care of; but, before then, they seem to integrate rather easily.

I will say that if you are having 3 day olds in with much older chicks, be sure to watch the feeding trough. You can wind up with broken necks. It's why, in my mixed brooder, I feed on a flat tupperware top. Yes, they will walk all through it, no that is not a problem.

This is what I use when I have less than 1 week old chicks/keets in with 1 month+ chicks/keets. It's been a life saver, literally.

And, just so you can see it in action - here is a peak at my mixed brooder. There are one month old keets, three week old chicks, 5 day old chicks and one day old keets in this mix:

The platform is just high enough that they can jump up on it at even 1 day old; yet, it keeps it out of the litter.

They were in this brooder (10'x4') until the youngest was two weeks old. Then they were all put out in the coop (with heat). There was never any negative interaction. Matter of fact, the oldest wound up playing "mama" to the 1 day olds.

And, let me directly answer the questions:

So now that you all know ages I was wondering how to introduce them all together, when I should do? I just toss them all in together. At the age differences that you have it shouldn't be an issue.

Can I place the first batch in coop first since they will be close to 2 weeks older and ready to get out of house? I would highly recommend not doing this. By integrating them in the brooder, you have a better chance of having them accepted and considered brood mates. You actually can tell who brooded with whom in your flock, even after everyone's integrated.

Or will this cause an issue? Not so sure about the "issue" aspect, though it would mean that your oldest would be around two months old at integration, and that can be more difficult.

Also can we put them in coupe with heat light if we make a kiddie section? If you have wired the coop appropriately, absolutely (we have our stationary coops set up that way). Be sure the light is significantly above the litter (three feet for us). Be sure to keep the light and light fixture well dusted. Be certain of adequate ventilation. Absolutely make sure that your wiring is done properly. Extension cords and clip on lights are not advised. A true, ceramic socket wired in with proper, insulated wiring is the best course of action.

Last edited:
We just placed our checks out in their coop three days ago and today my wife scurried them outside. But after it got dark chicks did not go back in the coop. They are all feathered out except for maybe one who's got a little ways to go we call her the runt. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes for chickens to understand the need to go back in the coop at night. I believe it's just a matter of time for my wife thinks everything should happen instantly. Anyone have any suggestions

You have to train them. It's not automatic. So, each night, you need to put them in the coop. Our "blondest" took about a week to grasp the concept. But, most of the time it's only three or four nights before they understand and start doing it on their own. A lot of times the ramp will be daunting to them and it can take longer for them to get past that hesitation. One gal on here had to put her chicks in the coop for three weeks before they got over their issue with the ramp and went up on their own.

Thanks Kilsharion! I just watched your clip and read your info! I will put them all together then! The babies I have now seem to all be very sweet and get along well with one another and I have large and bantams together. :)

Thanks Kilsharion! I just watched your clip and read your info! I will put them all together then! The babies I have now seem to all be very sweet and get along well with one another and I have large and bantams together. :)

Sure thing...sounds like you have quite the mix :) Keep an eye on the bantams since they will be pretty fragile - just like the one day old keets were. Make sure they aren't getting walked or sat on. They're so tiny you just want to stuff them in your pocket and take them with you everywhere.
gig.gif

I am kind of in the same boat. I wanted to get different breeds this year and in doing so have there ages spread out.

So far I have 2 barred rocks and 2 buff orpingtons that are fully feathered but still to small to be put out with our two year old hens, I think?
And we have 2 road island reds, 2 auracana and 1 austerlorp that are about half featherd.
And we have 3 more auracana and 10 ranger meat chicks that are still little fluff balls.
And I was wanting to get 3 more austrolorp chicks on Monday.

The two barred rocks are the ones I am concerned about they are starting to get a little peck y.
I have two heat lights out there, so if it does get real cold the bigger ones won't squash the little ones, I had that happen with one austrolorp chick.
So since the 2 barred rocks and 2 orpington are feathered should I throw them out with the old girls? I just worry that they are two small. The old girls are 7 barred rocks two years old, that we are retiring to my parents ranch once the new hens start laying.

Sorry my spelling sucks.

How would you work with chick placement in my situation?

I am kind of in the same boat. I wanted to get different breeds this year and in doing so have there ages spread out.

So far I have 2 barred rocks and 2 buff orpingtons that are fully feathered but still to small to be put out with our two year old hens, I think?
And we have 2 road island reds, 2 auracana and 1 austerlorp that are about half featherd.
And we have 3 more auracana and 10 ranger meat chicks that are still little fluff balls.
And I was wanting to get 3 more austrolorp chicks on Monday.

The two barred rocks are the ones I am concerned about they are starting to get a little peck y.
I have two heat lights out there, so if it does get real cold the bigger ones won't squash the little ones, I had that happen with one austrolorp chick.
So since the 2 barred rocks and 2 orpington are feathered should I throw them out with the old girls? I just worry that they are two small. The old girls are 7 barred rocks two years old, that we are retiring to my parents ranch once the new hens start laying.

Sorry my spelling sucks.

How would you work with chick placement in my situation?

Never just throw new birds in with an established flock...that way leads to disaster. You're going to need to integrate them; and, as young as your BRs sound, that's going to be dicey. Generally, people will use something known as a grow out coop - a small coop that is set up so that its run is next to (not attached to, but next to) the established flock. This allows the flock to get introduced to the new birds, and gives the new birds time to "grow up". You want them to be able to fend for themselves when the established flock starts teaching them all about dominance. A chick who is not their size doesn't stand much of a chance. Though, some do provide the exception to the rule. Is it at all possible for you to do something like this? Or even just a small run that you take them out to every day and put them back in the brooder at night? That will help with the peckishness....they're bored and crowded, right now, I'm sure. Just getting outside time is going to help. But, if you have more on the way - you're really going to want to consider more space.

Back
Top Bottom