Homemade feeders and waterers. *pics please*

Kate3017

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, I'm looking to save as much money as I can by making my own feeders and waterers for my flock. So far I've spent about $100 on building my coop, paint, and the purchase of my 16 chicks. I'm all about recycling but will buy supplies if needed.
Any ideas and information would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be awesome as well.
Thanks everyone! :)

I had to buy the nipples but they can turn any plastic beverage container into a waterer. I have one made from an upside-down juice bottle and another from an ice cream tub.

I'm working on a wall-mounted feeder made from scrap lumber for the chick pen. They may not use it for much longer but it could move to the big coop and hold the oyster shell. There are lots of designs out there made by creative folks if you search.

My husband built an indoor/outdoor waterer for our chicks and ducks. They learned to use it within a few hours and it's so much nicer and neater than the plastic gallon waterer from TSC we were using. No more water sprayed all around!!

He did a great job!!

My husband built an indoor/outdoor waterer for our chicks and ducks. They learned to use it within a few hours and it's so much nicer and neater than the plastic gallon waterer from TSC we were using. No more water sprayed all around!! He did a great job!!
That is very neat! Now, what about in the wintertime, I'm sure I'd have to use a heater to keep it from freezing. I'm in Ontario Canada and we get some nasty cold winters lol. I'm currently using a base I bought from the feed store that screws onto a mason jar, if I were to switch to the nipple system they will eventually catch on? Sorry about all the questions, this is my very first time raising chickens.

I had to buy the nipples but they can turn any plastic beverage container into a waterer. I have one made from an upside-down juice bottle and another from an ice cream tub.

I'm working on a wall-mounted feeder made from scrap lumber for the chick pen. They may not use it for much longer but it could move to the big coop and hold the oyster shell. There are lots of designs out there made by creative folks if you search.

This may be a stupid question but what are oyster shells? I mean I know what they are but what are they for? Is it a necessity for the chickens? Do I buy them from the feed store? What age do I give them to the chickens? Raising chicks is all new to me and I'm just learning.
Thanks so much.

Yeah, they figure the nipples out. I had a batch of chicks that learned almost immediately and a batch that was fearful of the waterer at first but had warmed up to it within three days.

I have a five-gallon bucket in the coop and that's the only water offered in the winter. I drop a 250W deicer in. It's the kind meant for plastic and has a thermostat so it won't overheat the water or damage the bucket. It sits on the bottom pretty much right on top of the nipples and does a fine job for me.

This may be a stupid question but what are oyster shells? I mean I know what they are but what are they for? Is it a necessity for the chickens? Do I buy them from the feed store? What age do I give them to the chickens? Raising chicks is all new to me and I'm just learning.
Thanks so much.

Laying hens need a lot of calcium. The shell is their calcium supplement while I feed a grower feed for my mixed-age flock. Layer feed has adequate calcium for layers but too much for juveniles so I only feed it if I have everyone in the coop laying. Otherwise, it's grower or all-flock feed with shell on the side. The non layers ignore the shell.

Oys
Thanks so much.

Oyster shell for laying hens adds calcium dont feed before laying age as it can be harmful at young age.
Chickens will figure out nipples real quick just make sure height is appropriate for their age and adjustable as they grow

Good cheap feeder is plastic gutters drop a piece of pipe down one inch or so above it. Fill pipe with food and as they eat more food falls out

Laying hens need a lot of calcium. The shell is their calcium supplement while I feed a grower feed for my mixed-age flock. Layer feed has adequate calcium for layers but too much for juveniles so I only feed it if I have everyone in the coop laying. Otherwise, it's grower or all-flock feed with shell on the side. The non layers ignore the shell.

I have another question. Well maybe a couple lol

The layer feed has enough calcium so I don't need oyster shells?
What age do I stop feeding the chick feed and start them on layer feed?
I somehow ended up with a BR roo (they were all supposed to be pullets) can he eat the layer feed or do I need to get buy a different feed just for him?

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure I'll have more later.
Thanks for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom