Albino Japanese quail chick

Gemski

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Northampton UK
Hello all? I tried to post already, can't find it think I didn't do it right! I had an albino quail chick hatch out yesterday. I thought I was seeing things, but my husband and my daughter confirmed it's def has pink/red eyes! I got a couple of pictures, but unsure how to add pictures. I'll try and add a photo bucket link. I think it's eye sight isn't very good! It seems to not see things until it's right in front of it. I'm worried it won't be as strong as it's hatch mates. I was wanting to know if anyone has any advice on how to help this little one thrive like his hatch mates? I thought about having him/her brood with just one other chick, my thoughts are that he/she won't have too much competition for feed and water?! Here's the photo bucket link: Hope the link works? I've been keeping quail for years, this is the first albino I've hatched. I'm unsure of parentage as I keep my birds in trios, ergs are collected and not marked who's pen they came from. Something I now wish I'd done. I know this little guy is probably a fluke!! Thanks for reading ;)

My apologies. Excuse my ignorance. The "PowerBall" is a lottery here in the US. It's current pay-off is $500 MILLION. The odds of winning the jackpot is something like a million to one.

Last edited:
I did look up powerball after reading your post. I said to my husband maybe we should start playing the lottery!!! It's not ignorance by the way, unless of course your psychic?!! ;D
Thanks for responding, naturally thought albino quails were common. Now understand why we couldn't find any easy to understand information when searching yesterday.
Again thanks ;)

Wow!
Very interesting outcome, maybe next batch you can keep an eye on which eggs come from where to see if you get another.
I would agree with the idea of putting him in a smaller brooder with 3-5 other chicks, maybe your smallest ones from the hatch? I would think any fewer and they may stress from lack of company.
Do you have a white or red lamp on your brooder? If you're using white I'd switch him to red for the sake of his eye development, it may improve over time or he may remain poorly sighted. I would also be sure to put some vitamins and electrolytes in his water.
Good luck!
Jessie

Super cool.

My recommendation, don't make it stay in very bright light. Its lack of pigment affects its eyes.

Red light in the brooder, if you're not already using one. Keep it in the shade if you'll be moving it outside.

Keep posting pics. People love color flukes! =)

Good luck.

Hi,
I always use red lights so pleased that's right. I had to separate him/her even with the red light his/her eyes have this reflective look at an angle, it's really hard to explain. The others just peck at his/her eyes non stop! They even caused a little cut on it's beak.
I just felt so awful for this little one being pecked at every angle. I was wondering if a blue light would resolve this? Kind of disguise it's eye colour? I know it's worked with disguising blood!!
I know I can't keep it segregated permanently, however I can't just watch it get pecked to death.
And I'm almost certain it's deaf!! The others hear the Hoover, any sudden loud noises. But this one seems completely unaware of sudden noises!!
It's in a small plastic tank, no lid within the brooder. I have a little guy hatched later than the rest no where near as active, going to try this one with bino ( named it already )
I think it can make out shadows, bino is eating and drinking ( now knows where they are ) never been so desperate for one to make it. I always worry with the babies, but this one is on my mind all the time.

Will get some more pictures today, and put them on here. I have some bleached ( lacking black pigmentation ) together normal bleached male with an apricot bleached hens! What are the chances one of these could be the thrower?
Thanks for your comments, will keep the progress posted ;)

Back
Top Bottom