Daylight Raccoon

nickRW

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
One of our chickens just got attacked and killed- middle of a bright afternoon in our back yard. We've had occasional raccoon problems before, but it attacked ours, and I heard it attack our neighbors' chickens a few minutes later...

I tried to give our dying chicken a little comfort, but it was pretty shocking... don't know what to do about the situation...

KILL IT!!! RABIES ALERT.
Raccoons do not ever come out in daylight unless they are scared from there dens or sick. Report it to your local health department. Sanitize yourself, make sure none of your animals have bites.

Last edited:
Does anyone live in Portland? We can't find any info on who to call other than commercial exterminators etc.

KILL IT!!! RABIES ALERT.
Raccoons do not ever come out in daylight unless they are scared from there dens or sick. Report it to your local health department. Sanitize yourself, make sure none of your animals have bites.
Actually, that's not true at all. Raccoons do come out during the day if they are hungry and have to feed the babies. If the raccoon is acting strange, sort of wobbling along, stumbling or just laying around then that is not normal and could have rabies.
I have seen both and it was very obvious the raccoon was sick. It was literally stumbling along the side of the road at about 9 a.m and clearly had issues.
I'm not saying this one doesn't have rabies... I have no idea. But they do come out during the day when hungry.
That raccoon will be a problem day or night and needs to be eliminated to protect your chickens.

Well, we are told to contain the animal, decapitate and send for testing the same day. We do this if any raccoon attacks what-so-ever are reporting during the day.
One less raccoon in the world is just fine with me!! Rabies or not. I have no love for them.

Here's some helpful info:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), only one human has ever died from the raccoon strain of rabies.
A rabid raccoon is usually dead within 1-3 days of becoming infectious, and even if you're bitten by a rabid raccoon, effective post-exposure treatment is available.

Is that raccoon rabid?

If you see a raccoon in your yard during the day, don’t panic—she is not necessarily sick or dangerous. It’s perfectly normal for raccoons to be active throughout the day. She may merely be foraging longer hours to support her young, visiting a garden while the dogs are indoors, or moving to a new location.
Look for:

• An animal seemingly oblivious to noise or nearby movement
    • Erratic wandering
    • Discharge from eyes or mouth
    • Wet and matted hair on face
    • Repeated high-pitch vocalization
    • Self-mutilation
If you see a raccoon showing these signs, call your local animal control or police department.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom