Williams Sonoma Coop...Advice?

drjman

Hatching
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Hi all, I'm new here and would love to get some advice.
I just picked up 4 straight run chicks on Tuesday (BO, Light Brahma, Blue Americauna, Red Blue Wynnandotte) and I am trying to make a decision on a coop. I live in a Orange County, California. I don't have a huge backyard, but its big compared to most around here. I have a raised section in the back of my yard that is four feet deep and sixty feet wide. Most of it is being used for vegetables and fruit. I'd like to take a corner of it and put in a coop and run. The chicks will eventually be able to free range in my backyard so i don't need a huge run. Basically they'd be in the run if we're away for the weekend (rarely happens, lol).

Does anyone have suggestions for decently priced coops in the Southern California area? I'm open to online, but I'm the kind of person that likes to see something in person.

One option we found, that my wife likes, is one of the Williams Sonoma Coops. This one in particular: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...en-coop/?pkey=cagrarian-garden-chicken-coops&

Before people start freaking out about the price, I can most likely get it for much cheaper (almost half off). I'm looking for feedback on the design of the coop mainly. Since I'm new, I can't spot design flaws like others can. One thing I noticed was the wire mesh floor in the coop. Wouldn't that make it drafty inside? It doesn't get really cold here, but it does dip into the high 30's a few times a year.

Anyways, if you have any comments on that coop or suggestions for others, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

If you need more info, ask me, I plan on being pretty active around here now.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

I'm going to let others with more experience comment on the details of the coop, as I haven't built one myself (yet) and have only had chickens for a year or so. Our coop has a wood floor we covered in laminate tile for ease of cleaning. But we get far colder winters than you do.

I'm sure others will have more specific advice for you on the details of the coop. Enjoy your chicks! I'm sure you'll love the chicken adventure as much as we do. I have to tell you the coop decisions (and regrets) are the hardest part! We're already trying to plan to build a bigger coop because we realized the coop we bought (from Craigslist) last year isn't big enough for our original 3 plus 3 more. The best advice I've been given now is to plan much bigger than you expect, because you WILL want more chickens!
wink.png

If it really is redwood, to be honest, while it's expensive, I've seen other coops advertised even higher that probably weren't as sturdy. Granted, many of us aren't buying those $1,000+ designer coops anyway!

But I would say that it seems a bit small for 4 standard size birds. And with only 4 birds, you probably won't need 2 nesting boxes. Certainly the run is far too small, but you said you'll have them free in your yard most of the time.

Will you be able to keep them all if any of your chicks are cockerels? You have a very high chance with straight run chicks (I do hope they explained that). Many towns or neighbors won't tolerate roosters in the backyards.

But I have to say I got quite a laugh checking out the Williams Sonoma site for chicken supplies. Discount or not, please, please do not buy their "predator kit" (you can get hardware cloth yourself for far less than $79), you can put together your own "watering bar" with a 5-gal bucket (again, less than $79.95), and find scratch far cheaper. They want to sell you 12 lbs for $25. Granted, prices will be higher in CA, but we pay $16 for 50 lbs of scratch.

If you decide the W-S version isn't for you, check out Craigslist, local shed companies (many carry coops), and your local feed or farm stores. Wherever you bought the chicks might be able to point you to local sources or even someone who builds them to sell.
Best of luck!

EMcD,
Thanks for the input!

I am definitely trying to plan for the future and figured i'd want more chickens...
smile.png
. The more i think about it, that coop probably isn't going to work. It definitely has things that make me think that some one who knows nothing about chickens designed it (two nesting boxes? i knew the 1to4 ratio). I only considered it because as you said, a lot of "nicer" coops are upwards of 1k and with a good discount, however lame it is, the Williams Sonoma coop is attractive. Since i assume i'll end up with 6 hens eventually, its just not worth the money for the space.

I did know that straight runs are 50/50. I can't keep the cockerels. My city allows 20 chickens and 20 rabbits (lol) per residence (no roosters). I live in a 1960's tract home subdivision, so even though we have decent lots (7500 sq ft, DONT LAUGH!
cool.png
), we're close enough that you can hear a rooster from ten houses away.

Don't worry, there's no way i would buy any of the "Wil-Ma" accessories. I can build something on my own and can do everything needed to ensure safety. I just don't have a lot of experience, so it may not be as nice as something a professional does.

I've looked through craigslist, there are some decent coops, but anything nice and large is basically around a thousand dollars. I need something custom because of the possible places I can put this thing.

I don't even know what a "local shed company" is! This is Orange County California! We have Home Depot, Lowes and a few tiny feed supply places for the rich people and their horses. So my options are limited. There is definitely a niche market for custom hand built coops. That's what is driving the crazy prices on custom made coops. Getting chickens around here is now the cool hipster thing to do. That means everything costs more.

I'll check with the few feed stores around here. I may need to buy plans for something nice and go that route. Thanks for the help!

Just an idea but you could put up a craigslist listing for a handyman. I'm sure a handy person could build you a coop for cheaper. If not, check out Farm & Home and a few other farm store's sites. Some will ship for free if its over a certain price. I got my first coop at Farm & home for $170 and it fits four just fine.

Do you have any carpenter friends who might be willing to build a coop for you for beer or the promise of eggs? Even if you just hired a carpenter and bought the materials I would guess if would cost you around the same as the WS coop. Search on the Purina coop if you need plans but read about feedback people have about the number and height of the nesting boxes. But based on those plans I think a carpenter should only take 2 days tops.

As for that WS coop you shared I don't see why the space under the coop isn't enclosed to give a few more feet of run space. The coop does look on the small size for 4 chickens. I don't mind the two nesting boxes even just for four as I've heard that chickens seem to like to have a choice. Even though they might all end up using the same box they may not and you never know when you'll have a broody hen setting up residence in one of the boxes.

Even though you're in OC aren't there agricultural areas? Maybe to the east? Can you search for "feed store"? If you're going to have chickens it would probably be good to know where your closest feed stores are when you need feed or supplies.

thanks both for the replies.
I have a great feed store nearby for all my supplies. I'm definitely set there.

My biggest obstacle with any coop, is my limited space (for a coop at least). My initial spot was in the back corner of the yard with about 4x12 feet for coop and run (free ranging on and off). That would have been in plain sight so appearance was paramount (as long as the chickens needs were met).

My wife and I have been brainstorming tonight and we came across another idea. We have a side yard that is part of the front yard and next to the garage. We would basically extend our side fencing to the front of the garage. Doing so will give us a 5x21 foot space to dedicate to a coop and run. I can build a 4x5 coop in the back and still have a 5x17 run in a space we never even thought aout.

The carpenter idea is a good one. I do have a friend that works construction that could help build the coop with me. Beer goes a long way with him, so I won't need to give eggs away, lol.

Here is the basic idea i have, modified slightly of course.

EDIT: i got interrupted mid way through and lost the rest of what i was typing.

Last edited:
Did you verify that they'll honor the discount? My BFF tried to buy the Saltbox from them last week and was told she couldn't get her normal 40% employee discount because it is a special order item.

Back
Top Bottom