Teaching Ducks

samuelsonfarm

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2013
OK, I feel like I've posted a million threads in the short 2 weeks that we've had our ducklings! I did so much research before buying them, and as we learn more with having them I think of all sorts of questions!

So, my main question is about free-ranging our ducks. We do not have a fenced in property. We live on 5 acres and have lots of space in the back for the ducks to forage. But we don't have any large fence to keep them back there, and they could potentially wander onto the street and leave if they wanted to. Do ducks normally stick close to home and not venture too far? How do you teach them to stay near their home when you're free ranging them? I am so worried they'll wander into the road and get hit or be snatched up by someone that thinks they're just so adorable (because they are, really). I know it will be a while before they are old enough to do that, but I need to start thinking about it now. We have a shed that they will be going into at night, but I'd like them to have as much freedom as they can while still being safe. What do you all think? Can anyone share their experience of teaching their ducks to stay close to home beginning to end with what ages/how long it took etc.? We love these guys so much already and we don't want to put them in danger.

Thanks! I love this forum, so much support and information!

Here's a photo of the babies enjoying some outside time today by the way! I know you all love duckling photos...who doesn't?

They are adorable as for free ranging my experience differs with my different groups. My Pekins are over a yr old now and they are constantly in the road walking over to the neighbors or walking back or walking down the side of it to get to the Amish's cow pasture instead of just walking a few feet through feild. Its very annoying and I worry about them all the time but I have a duck crossing sign and most everybody who uses this road knows I have ducks so they are sorta safe but I still worry. I think it was the lack of attention when they were younger. I know more now than I did back when I got my first ducks. I just recently got 15 more ducks back in march and they pretty much stay away from the road. Thankfully they listen when I yell "babies" so if I see them too close to the road or ocassionally see them next door I yell to them and they come right back. They are a lot better than my pekins but I think its just the amount of time and effort you put in to them. I wish I could go back and re do things with my Pekins now that I know all I do but unfortunately I can't. As for the ages pretty much since they were old enough to go outside they would free range. I would constantly watch them and as they got older and got bigger I decreased the amount of time I stayed out their with them.

Edited to fix my spelling errors

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply. It makes me nervous too! I also know for a fact there is someone in the neighborhood who hunts ducks for sport. I plan to go around and inform everyone that we will be keeping ducks and if anyone ever wanders off into their yard for them to call me and I'd go and get them. What did you do differently with your babies that you didn't do with your Pekins? I've heard of people keeping them fenced in for a while and then slowly remove the fencing and they just tend to stick around. We have SO much great space, I can't see why they'd want to leave, but ducks are quirky (or quacky!) and have minds of their own! Maybe if I put a big pond in they'll want to stay
barnie.gif

Anyone else have any tips or experiences they want to share?

i let my ducks out in the day and have 2to kiddie pools from dollar store i fill for them e erday. At nite i dump and rinse pools and clap and tell them bedtime girls -about and they go to bed. Close them up and safe

i let my ducks out in the day and have 2to kiddie pools from dollar store i fill for them e erday. At nite i dump and rinse pools and clap and tell them bedtime girls -about and they go to bed. Close them up and safe
Thank you for your response 8chickenlittle. I am wondering, do you have a fence around their area where they are, and have they ever ventured off of your property? At what age did you start letting them out? Did you supervise them a lot at first?

Thank you so much for your reply. It makes me nervous too! I also know for a fact there is someone in the neighborhood who hunts ducks for sport. I plan to go around and inform everyone that we will be keeping ducks and if anyone ever wanders off into their yard for them to call me and I'd go and get them. What did you do differently with your babies that you didn't do with your Pekins? I've heard of people keeping them fenced in for a while and then slowly remove the fencing and they just tend to stick around. We have SO much great space, I can't see why they'd want to leave, but ducks are quirky (or quacky!) and have minds of their own! Maybe if I put a big pond in they'll want to stay
barnie.gif
. Anyone else have any tips or experiences they want to share?
I'm not sure I think its cause I bonded with them more while they were indoors or maybe because I actually did more with them while they were outside. I used to take them for "walks" around the yard/property line so maybe that's it too. Its only recently that I've caught them over to the neighbors but I think that's because they are mingling more with my Pekins. They mostly stay in their 2 groups but I've noticed they are hanging out with each other more now than before. Lol don't worry about the pond just leave the hose on. I have a kids pool that holds 552 gallons and can fit all 19 ducks in there. I step on the plastic sides and empty it as much as possible then fill it back up. Its a big pool and a big pain to keep clean so I do this water change every day and they love it. Especially when I go inside and a few hrs later realize I left the hose on. They don't move far when that happens lol

Ours would head out if I let them free range, but even more, we have a list of predators that's really long, both daytime and nighttime, so ours are either with me or in the secure day pen during the day, and in the night pen at night.

Sometimes when I let them out of the day pen to noodle around while I work outside, they head straight to the road. They have found worms there. And they remember the worms. I have worked to retrain them, but it doesn't always stick. I was wondering the other morning if anyone had taken a video of me opening the gate and racing down the path to turn around and redirect the flock as they pounded their little webbed feet, running toward the road.

Back
Top Bottom