Dog eating chicken poop

blooo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
berkeley, ca
I've worked with my dog so that now she mostly leaves the chickens alone. (Still wouldn't trust her with them alone while they're free-ranging, but for the most part she is pretty good.) The thing is, the dog really likes to eat chicken poop, especially when the poop is fresh! Let me just say "eeeuuww!"

Other than being gross, does anyone know if this is bad for my dog? She has free access to the yard, so it would be really hard to stop her from finding and eating chicken poop.

I have a pair of Basset Hounds. The female has done this since day one and she is almost three years old. She doesn't clean up after the chickens, rather, after herself and the male Basset.

My vet said this was somewhat common in certain breeds, especially Bassets, and much more prevalent in the females. The vet felt is was part of their need to keep a clean "nursery" in the event of delivering a litter of pups.

We have to keep an eye on her out in the yard, otherwise.... :eek:

Never a pretty picture.

Dogs love poop. I think it is normal. Mine loves chicken poop and cat poop. Poop eating is called coprophagia. I think it is normal for them to eat the poop of other species, but is considered a problem when they eat their own or the poop of other dogs. As long your chickens are healthy and wormed, I wouldn't worry about. Just don't kiss him on the lips.

I doubt chicken poop would be a problem. Mine frequently makes off with fairly large amounts of horse manure. Dogs do just like manure. There are some benefits actually to eating it. The good bacteria they ingest (like eating yogurt) and there are some vitamins that only herbivores can produce and most omnivorous or carnivorous animals would have to get from animal products. These would be present in their waste as well so if the predator could not manage to make a kill and get the meat they would still get some of the vitamins by eating the manure. Young animals will often turn to eating their mom's waste if they are having stomach problems or not getting all the nutrients they need. It's not at all uncommon for animals to eat others' waste.

Last edited:
My precious Sweetie munches down on chicken and horse poop like they are brownies. I generally try to keep her out of it, just because....well, just because. Every now and again she gets hold of some and I dont know until I get a whiff of her wonderful breath......She's gorgeous and healthy and happy, so I guess it isnt hurting her.

Oh the shame. . .

Before I got into chickens, I recall someone telling me, "Oh, chickens are dirty." Huh?? I have to say my chickens are much tidier than any dog I have ever had.

My two noodges snap up chicken poop whenever I am not looking ~ oh, make that ALL THE TIME. They just look guilty when they do it in my presence, as this act is inevitably followed by my bellowing "GET OUTTA THERE!!!" and pointing angrily toward the house. They would also happily snack on kitty box crunchies if I let them. That's what dogs do.

Dogs are just gnarly beasties with no couth: slobbering, burping, grinning, poop-breathed, fishy-water-smelling, mysterious-substance-rolling, critter chasing maniacs.

Fortunately for us mine are also tender-hearted, cat-sitting, house-guarding, child-tolerant heroes who would gladly endanger their own safety to protect mine.

Whatcha gonna do. . .

Jen in TN
~:<>

Just checkin' in with...yeah, what they said!
lau.gif
My dog loves it, too!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom