HOW MUCH SCRATCH FEED SHOULD I FEED MY CHICKENS!

nannie

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
mineral virginia
I have 5 pullets and1 rooster. all of the pullets have laid an egg today. so I went to southern states and bought 50 lbs of laying crumbles and 50 lbs of 2 grain scratch. my question is how much do I give and how often should I give it to them. also all of the eggs have ben small since they began to lay on the 25 two weeks ago.so how much longer will they keep on laying small eggs.i am waiting to get a bigger egg.is my wait almost over. I have red sex links,leghorn and tetra links

It's better to fill up the feeder and let them eat all they want. If they are full, they'll stop
roll.png

Scratch is not a complete feed especially a two grain mix. It is best used as a treat, something thrown out to amuse the chickens and their owner. Limit the treats like scratch to around ten percent of their diet. The main feed should be the complete layer feed. The eggs probably are getting bigger already. It can take a couple months for them to reach full size.

For a typical layer feed in the 15-16% protein range give your birds about half a handful each of scratch grains. Preferably in the mornings. They should go to roost at night with a belly full of layer feed as that is when they are building their eggs.

If your feed is higher in protein or your birds are free ranging all day you can increase the scratch, but don't go crazy with it. All chickens lay small eggs in the beginning. They'll gradually size up over a four to six week period.

thanks a bunch I planned to use the scratch as a treat

Every morning I walk around the side of the chicken run to get to the coop door to release the beasts, they all rush out into the run and then follow me as I walk back around. They then stand and wait at the door because they know whats coming
gig.gif
I have 6 girls and throw bout 3 handfuls of scratch out and then sprinkle dried cranberries on top. They enjoy their treat
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom