Purina Woodland Game Bird?

Texpatriate

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
Lubbock, TX
A couple of the breeders I've purchased my birds from (I have black, blue, and splash copper Marans, Mille Fleurs, and aracanas in my flock) like to feed purina game bird feed to their birds mixed with chicken feed, supposedly to get better plumage. Any thoughts/experience on this? One of them is specifically feeding a new purina feed called "Purina Woodland Game Bird Blend" (bag pic bellow) mixed with purina game bird chow and (chicken) chick starter (presumably to growing birds not adults).

I picked up a bag of this "woodland" blend today at tractor supply to try it mixed with the purina flock raiser that I'm feeding. It's a mix of pellets and grain and the first 3 ingredients on the label are wheat, popcorn(!?), and milo and its 15% protein.. I've done a google search on this stuff and turned up nothing, even on purina's own site. Anybody using this with chickens, and what is your opinion of it?

Last edited:
I am not using this stuff, although I do feed various type of gamebird feed to my chickens and turkeys...and let me tell you...I LOVE IT. Their plumage is so nice, and when it comes time to molt there isn't much feather loss let alone a halt in their egg laying. My feed which in california i got 75lbs for $25 I'd mix equal parts to 50lb bag of all purpose crumble.

Game Bird mix included:
milo
Corn
BOSS
split peas
calf manna
millet...I think.

But I've recently found game bird crumbles in which I mix all flock pellets and wild bird seed which has milo corn and BOSS, just started growing fodder which I shall also include in their diet.

beating a dead horse here but my tractor suppy has bags of this purina woodland game bird blend was wondering if anyone uses it for there quail theres seriously no info out there on it and purina doesnt even aknowledge it on their website.

proteins 15% just wondering cause on the bag its got picture of pheasant quail n other birds but the proteins low. wanna say when i was reading the package u can use it start to finish on your gamebirds. just wondering i cant find any info or reviews or anything and tractor supply doesnt have it in there online catalog at store only. thanks

its not on their wildlife site u sent either unless there calling it something other than "purina woodland game bird blend"

I sell this at my store and the customers who buy it love it but i cannot find anything about it online to tell new potential customers. I will see what i can find out from a rep.

Many people feed game bird for two reasons. Animal protein & higher protein content. This is only 15%, so it's not higher protein. Does it have animal protein? Just wondered, because all Purina Game Bird feed that I used to use here is now vegetarian. No reason for me to buy it, as it is just more soy like their layer.

Back
Top Bottom