casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
I've read about people using horse wormer to worm their birds, but I've always wondered how much Safeguard/Panaur (Fenbendazole 10%) paste one would use. So i decided to do some weighing and math. As it turns out, you would give the same amount of paste as you would the liquid. For example, if you usually give a bird one cc of the liquid, you would give one cc of the paste.

This is applies to Fenbendazole 10% only, not Ivermectin and it's probably only useful to those that worm by mouth as I don't know if the paste would mix properly in the water.

Let me know if this is not clear enough since I seem to have trouble writing what I mean, lol.

It's important to understand how much your bird weighs and how many mg/kg your bird should get. Giving too little worming medication can cause resistance to wormers. Do you have any idea how many mg's of wormer are in a "pea size" amount? Well I was curious, so I measured it.

From left to right:
Small = 10mg ( .1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Medium = 25mg (.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Large = 50mg ( .5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
50 mg/kg is what my vets recommended.

Weighed empty 6cc (ml) syringe

Filled with Panacur 10% paste and weighed. Difference is 6 grams, so 6 grams = 6cc's (ml)

-Kathy

Edited to add these:

Last edited:
Good info Kathy. Pastes wont mix in water. Overdosing on fenbendazole/panacur/safeguard (all the same) is nearly impossible. I think it would be 10 times the recommended doses for any of it to have adverse effects on a chicken. That would be probably almost a half tube of paste for a large pea size amount lol.
I forgot to add that it doesnt mean "more is better." You posted the recommended dosages.

Last edited:
I don't recommend this, but I have actually given 100mg (1ml) to a 2.2 pound chicken for 5 days in a row and seen no ill effects, but the blood in her poop did go away, although that could be because she also got treated with a Corid drench for five days.

-Kathy

Oops, forgot to include these in the first post. It was from here that I got the idea to give 1ml for 5 days to my banty with the bloody poop. I doesn't actually list 100mg/kg for 5 days, it was just an experiment.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Sometimes I get carried away... for those looking for a safe dose, refer to post #1 and ignore my dosing experiment.
hide.gif

-Kathy

Good info Kathy. Pastes wont mix in water. Overdosing on fenbendazole/panacur/safeguard (all the same) is nearly impossible. I think it would be 10 times the recommended doses for any of it to have adverse effects on a chicken. That would be probably almost a half tube of paste for a large pea size amount lol.
I forgot to add that it doesnt mean "more is better." You posted the recommended dosages.
I agree, more is not better, but it's probably better than too little, right?

-Kathy

Thank you so much for this Kathy!! I've been looking for something like this for a while now. I've been using Wazine 17 for my hens, but its hard to know if they are getting it or not.

Hello,

I'm not sure if my chickens have worms or not...egg production has been way down and several have been having poopy butts. Tonight I found one dead that seemed fine earlier today. I'd like to try the Safe-guard but I'm a little unsure about dosing. I've got Rhode Island Reds, 2 large ones (3 years old) and 3 smaller ones (2 years old). Do you just estimate their weights based on what is average for the breed or do you actually have to weigh them? The large ones are hard to handle, the smaller ones more docile and accepting of being handled.

We have an 8 year old bunny that live in the coop and yard with the chickens so I don't want to use anything that might harm her. Unfortunately she prefers to drink out of the chickens water instead of her bunny water bottle.

I've never wormed any of my chickens and have been keeping chickens for almost 7 years. Hmmm. I wonder if that's why my chickens seem to die mysteriously by age 4 or less. I've lost several to a crafty fox, a few to water belly, and one to a retained egg. The few others I've lost seem fine and then I find them dead. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened to those?

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm not sure if my chickens have worms or not...egg production has been way down and several have been having poopy butts. Tonight I found one dead that seemed fine earlier today. I'd like to try the Safe-guard but I'm a little unsure about dosing. I've got Rhode Island Reds, 2 large ones (3 years old) and 3 smaller ones (2 years old). Do you just estimate their weights based on what is average for the breed or do you actually have to weigh them? The large ones are hard to handle, the smaller ones more docile and accepting of being handled.

We have an 8 year old bunny that live in the coop and yard with the chickens so I don't want to use anything that might harm her. Unfortunately she prefers to drink out of the chickens water instead of her bunny water bottle.

I've never wormed any of my chickens and have been keeping chickens for almost 7 years. Hmmm. I wonder if that's why my chickens seem to die mysteriously by age 4 or less. I've lost several to a crafty fox, a few to water belly, and one to a retained egg. The few others I've lost seem fine and then I find them dead. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened to those?

Thanks!
If you're using the safeguard liquid goat wormer, use a syringe without a needle and dose your 2 large size RIR's 1cc of the goat wormer orally undiluted, your 2 smaller ones 1/2cc.
If your using the safeguard equine paste, give your 2 large RIR's a large "pea" size amount orally. The 2 smaller ones a regular "pea" size amount orally. You can put the paste on a piece of bread and give the treated bread to each chicken individually.
Then redose your chickens again in the same manner 10 days later. Discard eggs for 14 days after the last dosing.

Back
Top Bottom