Chicken ordinances in south Mississippi

Hansen6dad

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012
Long Beach, Mississippi
I have been trying to find out how many chickens I can have in Long Beach, Mississipi, before they are considered livestock. I tried to call the city and they just say "No you can't have chickens, because they are livestock". I have been told that they are considered pets until you reach a certain number and then they are livestock. Some local Vets (DVM"S) that they have lots of customers that have chickens as pets inside the city limits, and was told to go ahead and get them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hansen6dad

The city should have laws on the internet to read. Though sometimes there is an interpretation you may have to battle. Usually livestock and poultry will have separate laws applied.

I live in the city limits of Gulfport and have 15 chickens currently with 3 of those being crowing roosters. No issues. Neighbors are great. I have 1 1/3 acres.

Wish ya the best.

Hansen6dad,

I live in Long Beach as well and have neighbors who are apparently unhappy with my chickens and are trying to make me get rid of them. I have 4 which is within the pet limit. Last week I had 9 and rehomed them to use the pet angle if I am reported. I spoke to Alderman Hammons (ward 4) last week and he gave me the idea to say they were pets when trying to find a loophole around the livestock wording in the ordinance. I have created a facebook page for chicken keepers in Long Beach and would love for you to get in on the conversation. There are tons of people living in Long Beach who own chickens, in fact, the USM campus has them "freeranging" all day. The people who live across the street from the campus own them, and guineas, and a rooster. The ordinance does not make any specific mention of chickens but just generally states that livestock is not allowed. My chickens would revolt if they heard me refer to them as such! I want to petition the board of Alderman to consider creating a way for people of Long Beach to keep chickens without being at the mercy of their neighbors complaints. Maybe have it fall under the animal control ordinances for pets. Please, feel free to check out my FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/Backyardchickenslbms

Thanks so much for posting on my FB page Hansen6dad!! I just recently created it and am hoping that more Long Beach chicken keepers will see and respond. I'd like to get a good idea of how many people (read voters) are willing to put a little pressure on the board of aldermen to create a chicken specific ordinance. I am willing to do most of the legwork, just need to see how many are adamant about their birds and willing to speak out for those of us who enjoy them..

I know this is an older thread, I currently live in Waveland, MS just 20 mins from Long Beach. I want to get chickens as well. I couldn't find ANYTHING online about what the regulations were for owning chickens within city limits. So I called Waveland's city hall which is a few streets down from me. Was told to call animal control. Talk to Animal control who apparently doesn't know anything about the law. At first he told me No, I am not allowed to have chickens, but then I said at what point is it consider livestock? He said I am allowed to have five. It's almost as if he was hoping I didn't know that I was allowed to have a certain number. Oh well I have 10 on order, and I live in a small secluded neighbor hood with great neighbors. I also know a few houses in The Bay that have chickens as well, So i'm not to worried.

Andrea

Last edited:
I am also trying to find out if I can raise chickens. I live on Henderson Point and I cannot find out if Harrison Co. will allow it. I am tired of the egg prices skyrocketing!

You should be able to have at least five hens, No roosters depending on where you live. Although I have a silkie and he is a roo. He doesn't crow much at all and when he does it's a very quiet crow, if that's even possible. I have 11 chickens, 8 Buff Orpingtons, and 3 silkies who are almost 16 weeks. No eggs yet, hopefully in a few weeks.. I called the police department, and then was told to contact animal control. I would ask them if hens are allowed, and if so how many. It's not consider livestock until a certain number. In Hancock it's 5. Anything under 5 is consider pets.. Hope that helps.

Andrea

Anyone know anything about Sauicer MS? We live in the country and have a huge yard but they're building house next to us soon. It has me worried that If I get neighbors who don't like it, will they make me get rid of my roosters?

Back
Top Bottom