Sparks, NV...we might have a chance at this!

cluckless

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
I emailed the city council member for my ward (who is pro-chicken, and has brought up the issue before), and received his reply:

"We are still working a complete zoning code update and urban agriculture is still being reviewed. We're about a year out from having it complete. In the meantime feel free to provide public comment at a City Council meeting or write a letter to the mayor and council. It's good for them to hear that there's interest out there.
I'll also keep your contact info so when it does come forward I can let you know to attend and testify."

I will be emailing when I can get some good arguments together but I want to know if there is anyone else in the incorporated areas of Sparks who want to be kept in the loop. As far as I can tell, every other large town and city in Nevada allows chickens (and bees as well).

I would like to think I have a good handle on the research and can put together a good written argument for emailing, it's the idea of speaking publicly that gets me ;) still, I think this is doable.

I read that you're allowed to have chickens in Reno, is it still illegal in Sparks?

That's right. The way I understand it is that Reno is OK with it so long as it's not a nuisance and no one complains. Also, anywhere in Washoe County that is not incorporated into any of the cities is fine. Sparks has chickens listed as livestock and you have to be zoned agriculture for them.

There is a major update though that I haven't had a chance to add:

If you are in Sparks and want to see chickens legalized, the owner of Rail City Garden Center and Nursery has a petition going that you can sign at the store. i am not affiliated with his group, but he has been on the "Garden Spot" show on KOH talking about working with a couple of the city councilmen about getting the Sparks city agriculture code revamped. I know one councilwoman in particular is in favor of urban farming, including the small-scale keeping of chickens and bees within the city limits.

So, we still have a major chance at getting chickens legalized!

GO SIGN THE PETITION and keep an eye on upcoming city council meetings!

My wife and I were really excited about the possibility of keeping chickens - something I've done since I was a small kid. I couldn't find any information on the Sparks laws, so assumed the Reno ones applied. Obviously, I was wrong to think that.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help get the changes passed. I really want my fresh eggs.

My wife and I were really excited about the possibility of keeping chickens - something I've done since I was a small kid. I couldn't find any information on the Sparks laws, so assumed the Reno ones applied. Obviously, I was wrong to think that.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help get the changes passed. I really want my fresh eggs.

Best thing that I know of right now is to sign the petition, keep an eye on upcoming council meetings and email the council members. Find out which ward you are in and get in touch with your councilman- they all have public emails. Just be informed and informative because many of them are not "country folk," and really don't see the point. We need to let them know we're not a bunch of crazies ;)

Where's the petition?? I want to sign. The idea that Reno is ok and Sparks is not, just stupid. But I worry about HOAs being buggers about all of it. I'm sure they don't allow such things.

Back
Top Bottom