Help my neighbor's dogs just killed my duck

denise91

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 25, 2013
My neighbor has three dogs that dig under our fence and come into our yard. The dogs have previously killed 2 chickens and have seriously injured two others. My neighbor's don't take responsibility for their dogs and do not try to keep them in their yard. When the dogs do get out they won't try to catch them or get them back into their yard. What can I do to protect my remaining birds? I fear the dogs will kill every last one of them.
I had a pair of call ducks but the dogs just killed my male. The female was completely imprinted on him and couldn't be separated from him without screaming. I don't know what to do with her now; she won't calm down. I don't have other ducks to put her with. I do have chickens but they chase her. What can I do for my female duck?

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry for the circumstances. The very first thing to do is report the neighbors to animal control. It's time that they take responsibility for what their dogs are doing. Then build a fortified pen and get a new mate for the duck.

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry for the circumstances. The very first thing to do is report the neighbors to animal control. It's time that they take responsibility for what their dogs are doing. Then build a fortified pen and get a new mate for the duck.
Thank you for the help! I called animal control but they said the only thing I could do is take the neighbors to court. I think I'll file another police report on the dogs so there's documented history incase something even worse happens. I showed the female the dead male so in her little duck brain she might understand that she's not going to see him again. Now she's having a bath and seems quite content. I was also able to contact the breeder that I got them from and I might be able to get another male. The female is about six months, does it matter what age the male is? Will they bond easier if he's younger?

Thank you for the help! I called animal control but they said the only thing I could do is take the neighbors to court. I think I'll file another police report on the dogs so there's documented history incase something even worse happens. I showed the female the dead male so in her little duck brain she might understand that she's not going to see him again. Now she's having a bath and seems quite content. I was also able to contact the breeder that I got them from and I might be able to get another male. The female is about six months, does it matter what age the male is? Will they bond easier if he's younger?
It will take her a while to get use to another drake but it will happen if you let them learn to get to know each other slowly. As far as the dogs either take neighbors to court or take matters into your own hands, set traps and catch these dogs take them to the shelter. Or take them out into the woods and... These neighbors don't deserve these dogs and are not being responsible or respective of others property. So sorry for your losses. I don't have empathy for those who let their dogs roam and kill at will, I'm sorry the dogs have such irresponsible owners they deserve better, But unless you step in they will keep coming back and kill again.

Interesting that animal control does nothing even though these dogs are running loose and killing livestock! I would keep after them about it. Yes you may have to go to court to recoup damages but what is animal control going to do about the loose dogs? That is what I would be asking them. But in the meantime I would also solve the dog problem myself. The dogs would disappear, plain and simple. By whatever means I had to use to accomplish it. And, as suggested, fortify your pens. I would highly suggest running some hot wire around the pens, excellent dog deterrent. Otherwise, yes, these dogs will keep this up until you have nothing left. Get pictures of these dogs in your yard and document every bit of damage they do including every dead bird and damage to pens and fences.

It will take her a while to get use to another drake but it will happen if you let them learn to get to know each other slowly. As far as the dogs either take neighbors to court or take matters into your own hands, set traps and catch these dogs take them to the shelter. Or take them out into the woods and... These neighbors don't deserve these dogs and are not being responsible or respective of others property. So sorry for your losses. I don't have empathy for those who let their dogs roam and kill at will, I'm sorry the dogs have such irresponsible owners they deserve better, But unless you step in they will keep coming back and kill again.
Thank you so much. I have a feeling taking them to court won't result in very much. I am so tempted to take matters into my own hands. These dogs aren't trained or socialized and when they get the chance they go after anything and anyone.

I agree with Miss Lydia.

If you already called animal control, call the local police station. Tell them that this is not the first time it's happened, and you want to file a report and want to take action. Not only have they cost you $ (birds are not cheap to raise and some breeds are costly just to buy) but they continue to let their dogs do this. If you complain enough, then animal control or the police have to do something. You could take them to court as well and see if you can get some $ back, but sometimes it's not worth it.

Like Miss Lydia said, they are killing YOUR animals and trespassing on YOUR property. You have asked them nicely to control their animals and they refuse to. I would start setting traps for them. Live have-a-heart traps (depending on the size of the dogs), leg traps, or (I think this is an even better idea and isn't harmful to the dogs) set food traps. Use something you know they will eat/drink, and put laxatives in it. Then the neighbors will be in for a nasty surprise later that night! But if you trap them, don't even bring them back to your neighbor. Bring them right to the pound. Tell them you have stray dogs that are roaming onto your property and killing your birds, and they will take them off your hands for you. It's not your problem or responsibility to return them to the owners especially if the owners don't care that all this is happening.

Age of a new drake shouldn't matter. Ducks are very social animals so she should take kindly to any new duck. So if it's one of those situations where you can't find her a call drake until spring, get her another female or male duck and she should be ok.

And if you can, until the dog situation is fixed, see if you can keep your birds in coops or pens that can't be dug under. That way you won't have to worry while you are not at home and it will prevent any more from getting taken from you

If these dogs are also aggressive to people then that is also what you need to be pounding into the heads of the nitwits at animal control and also tell the police when you file a report. Make it clear that someone is going to be responsible if these dogs attack a person after you have complained and nothing was done. Be the squeaky wheel.

You said they go after anything and anyone. If you start pushing the scared for your own safety angle (or your kids is even better if you have some) you may find that authorities pay more attention than if you are only worried about poultry.

Sad poultry seems to rate so low with people but even if that is your real priority I would go all out and be terrified they will attack your kids/ nieces/grand kids whatever. Just use what you have to to make them listen.

I agree with Miss Lydia.

If you already called animal control, call the local police station. Tell them that this is not the first time it's happened, and you want to file a report and want to take action. Not only have they cost you $ (birds are not cheap to raise and some breeds are costly just to buy) but they continue to let their dogs do this. If you complain enough, then animal control or the police have to do something. You could take them to court as well and see if you can get some $ back, but sometimes it's not worth it.

Like Miss Lydia said, they are killing YOUR animals and trespassing on YOUR property. You have asked them nicely to control their animals and they refuse to. I would start setting traps for them. Live have-a-heart traps (depending on the size of the dogs), leg traps, or (I think this is an even better idea and isn't harmful to the dogs) set food traps. Use something you know they will eat/drink, and put laxatives in it. Then the neighbors will be in for a nasty surprise later that night! But if you trap them, don't even bring them back to your neighbor. Bring them right to the pound. Tell them you have stray dogs that are roaming onto your property and killing your birds, and they will take them off your hands for you. It's not your problem or responsibility to return them to the owners especially if the owners don't care that all this is happening.

Age of a new drake shouldn't matter. Ducks are very social animals so she should take kindly to any new duck. So if it's one of those situations where you can't find her a call drake until spring, get her another female or male duck and she should be ok.

And if you can, until the dog situation is fixed, see if you can keep your birds in coops or pens that can't be dug under. That way you won't have to worry while you are not at home and it will prevent any more from getting taken from you
I've caught the dogs before but I never even thought to take them to the pound instead of back home. That's a great idea. I called the police first but they said they couldn't do anything and directed me to animal control who also said they couldn't do anything. The only problem I have with the traps is that the dogs would probably ignore them in favor of going after the chickens/duck. Will a food trap be enticing enough to get their attention?

Back
Top Bottom