Blue Orpington and Black Copper Marans sexing - 12 weeks

MyLittleRedCoop

Songster
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I got fertile eggs from a breeder of BCM and blue Orpingtons. 5 hatched. I have been tracking their feathering, waddles, combs and all that stuff... I think I have these guys guessed right? Can anyone who knows these breeds well confirm for me?
smile.png
I am throwing out guesses, but would love more qualified eyes confirm or contradict my guesses!

I had them banded with different color zip ties, so they each have a different color.

Green is a BCM. She has some feathering on her legs. I am guessing pullet, based on the short comb and waddles, and has copper on her neck, but no copper saddle or wing color. I don't see any sickle feathers forming?

Orange is also a BCM. I am guessing pullet for this one as well. She is almost identical to Green, above, with copper on her neck but no copper saddle or wing coloring. She also has a bit of feathering on her legs.

Yellow is a blue Orpington, with the classic grey body and dark head. I am guessing pullet for this one, too, based on her very, very short comb and waddles. The weird thing about this one is that her waddles and comb are dark grey-to-black. Odd. But, I don't see any sickle feathers forming, or shiny saddle feathers, at this point...? The only thing that makes me wonder is that she is the same overall size as Pink, who is listed below, and I am pretty certain he is a roo.

This is Purple. She is a black Orpington that somehow got mixed into the blue Orpington eggs that I got. (??) I am guessing pullet, again, due to the very short comb and waddles. I'm pretty confident that she is a pullet, as she did the egg squat for me when I picked her up to take her picture and fluffed up when I set her down.
wink.png
But she is definitely an Orpington, as she has no copper on her anywhere, no leg feathers, and her eyes are dark.

Last one up is Pink, and I'm pretty sure he's a roo. I have to laugh, as I picked out their colors as only a couple days old, randomly, and the one I picked for pink turns out to be a roo. His waddles are about 1.5-2 cm long, and his comb is about 1.5 cm tall. He has some shimmery feathers growing in on his saddle, too. Yellow (above) is the same size as this one, but lacks the comb and waddle growth and the shimmery feathers.

So, that's all of them. And If I really got 4 out of 5 hatched to be pullets, I am going to be a very happy camper!
ya.gif
Let me know what you think!

And, in case someone is reading this down the line, in an effort to sex their own Blue Orps or BCMs, here is a link to a thread I posted back when they were 5.5 weeks old. As soon as I get confirmation (eggs, crowing) I will be sure to follow up. :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ingtons-and-black-copper-marans#post_12117836

Full body shots are best, but I think your guesses are right.

As far as the black orp, depending on the genetics in the pen, breeding blue has a chance of blacks and splash.

Last edited:
DallasCriftins and Donrae,
Thanks a bunch for your thoughts!
Do either of you know anything about the weird black comb and waddle? Is that a common thing with orps? Or some kind of genetic anomaly? Wondering if it will change color or stay like that... Kind of cool!

The people to ask are the owners of these sites
Or just drool over the colours!

http://www.keiths-orps.co.uk/
http://www.orpingtonchickens.co.uk/new-chickens.html

My Orps belong to my Youngest Son we bought the four above at auction to go with the three Splash we hatched at Easter
So next year we will Breed our Splash Roo with our 5 hens and see what we get, almost certainly a combo of Blues Blacks and Splash fluff balls!

This pic was about the first I have of mine where I was sure I had hatched two Roos and one Hen

Now and note the green ring, same bird as the pic below

Two little boys.............

No idea what they were at this stage!

Last edited:
I got some full-body pictures. I'm still a little on the fence for the BCMs. (green and orange) They're both really skittish. And compared to the images I've seen for BCM roos at 12 weeks, they don't have much comb/waddle... And no copper saddle or wing color at all. But their tails look funny...
hu.gif

This is Pink. (Blue Orp) Gonna be a pretty boy.

This is Purple. Black Orp.

Another shot of Purple.

This is Yellow (Blue Orp) with Green and Orange (both BCMs - They're both super-skittish and take off if you even look at them)

Here's a not-so-great picture of Green. (BCM)

This is Yellow. (Blue Orp)

This is Orange. (BCM)

This is a picture of our current BCM hen, Trudy, when she was 12 weeks, just for comparison.

The people to ask are the owners of these sites
Or just drool over the colours!

http://www.keiths-orps.co.uk/
http://www.orpingtonchickens.co.uk/new-chickens.html

My Orps belong to my Youngest Son we bought the four above at auction to go with the three Splash we hatched at Easter
So next year we will Breed our Splash Roo with our 5 hens and see what we get, almost certainly a combo of Blues Blacks and Splash fluff balls!

This pic was about the first I have of mine where I was sure I had hatched two Roos and one Hen

Now and note the green ring, same bird as the pic below

Two little boys.............

Oh my goodness, what gorgeous birds!! What green ring are you talking about?
The picture where they're looking at each other, looks like they're deep in conversation. Very cute!

Just wanted to update this thread for future members who might be trying to identify their own black or blue orpingtons, or their BCMs.
All identifying leg band colors are the same as at the beginning of the thread. Pullets and cockerel shown are all 15 weeks old. I'm still a little surprised that I managed to get 4 pullets out of 5 eggs. Especially since, at one point, around a month old, I was thinking I had 4 cockerels out of 5!

Green is a Black Copper Marans. Definitely a pullet, as she's been squatting and fluffing. Still pretty thin but starting to fill out and fluff up. My other (older) BCM lost the little bit of copper around her neck as she got older. Not sure if these gals will, too, or not?

This is Orange, also a BCM. She is also definitely a pullet. Her tail feathers look a little wonky here, but she is basically a twin to Green, above. Hard to tell them apart, except for the leg bands. Also doing the egg squat.

Pink is a blue orpington, and definitely a cockerel. Very mellow, has been started letting the girls eat and defending them from older flock members. Still not crowing, but I have 3 older roos, so may not be quite ready to step it up yet.

Another shot of Pink.

Purple is a black orpington pullet. She has been squatting and fluffing for about a week now. She is much bigger and fluffier than my buff orps that I got from an online provider.

Another shot of Purple.

Yellow is a blue orpington pullet. She has been squatting and fluffing for about a week. Her comb, waddles and face are still dark grey. I don't think this is a gender trait, but it looks pretty cool. Not sure if she'll redden up as she gets older or not? She's also very fluffy compared to the buff orps I have.

Close-up of Yellow

Back
Top Bottom