Plastic Shed To Chicken Coop?

ArtemisV

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Hello folks. :D I browsed the forum and I saw several posts like this, but I feel like I should probably make my own anyway, as this shed is a little bit unique. But first, a background story!

We recently moved to my Grandma's house (she passed away several years ago), which was left empty by my cousin after she had a fight with her boyfriend and left. Her boyfriend, however, remained at the house and invited his family, and they utterly trashed the place. Beer bottles everywhere, piles of trash in the backyard, piles of junk in the backyard... you get the idea.

While the house was clean in a matter of weeks, the yard is still an ongoing process. There's a plastic shed sitting out there that's probably between 4-5 ft long on each side, it has double doors, and it's made of very sturdy plastic. I thought I could save myself about $400 and convert it to a chicken coop, but it would require several things. Here is what I would have to do, and I'm looking for feedback on whether this is a good idea or not, as it would save me quite a bit of money and allow me to get my chickens probably a year earlier.

Ventilation: We would have to cut a hole (maybe several) in the shed to allow for ventilation. My Mom suggested we use an old round grill piece we found, and while it may look trashy, I figured it would be better than letting a hawk gnaw through weak chicken wire.

Poop door: We would have to cut a tiny door out of it for chickens to go back and forth, so the double doors can remain closed when needed.

Chicken Run: We don't have a chicken run, sadly, but we do have a fenced in dog lot big enough for one dog. We will either have to move the shed into the lot (taking up most of the room) or cut a hole in the fence and somehow attach it to the shed so nothing can get in. Oh, and we'd have to put some kind of roof on it to keep predators out. I'd also like very much to range my chickens, but I will have to do it very carefully, there are loose dogs all over the neighborhood and we're out in the country, so there are probably plenty of predators! (If you have any advice on this, I'm all ears!)

Roosts: I know they need places to perch, no idea what I'm going to do there. There's a shelf in the shed, a small plastic one, I figured we could put a couple nesting boxes on that and leave the rest open for them to roost on. Good idea? Bad Idea?

Nesting Boxes: Like I said, the shelves. We were going to buy some plastic tubs and nail a little bit of wood to the front to keep bedding in, and either nail or glue them to the shelves. If we want to clean them, we can carry the entire plastic shelf out of the shed.

Protection: We would have to install some kind of bolt on the double doors so that they are safe from predators and so that the chickens can stay in at night.

I'm thinking this shed costed our cousin at least a couple hundred dollars, but probably closer to $400, though she said it was a waste of money and a pretty worthless shed. It seems pretty sturdy to me, maybe it just wasn't big enough for her? Who knows.

I will have some pictures tomorrow, but like I said, it's a square shed made of sturdy plastic with double doors. It's 4-5 feet long on each side, and my plan is to put some nesting boxes on shelves in there.

Last edited:
if the run has a gate cant you attach it to the front using 3 pieces of it and the last for the roof? then you can walk into the run before you open the shed and prevent the birds from getting out ?

Hello folks. :D I browsed the forum and I saw several posts like this, but I feel like I should probably make my own anyway, as this shed is a little bit unique. But first, a background story!

We recently moved to my Grandma's house (she passed away several years ago), which was left empty by my cousin after she had a fight with her boyfriend and left. Her boyfriend, however, remained at the house and invited his family, and they utterly trashed the place. Beer bottles everywhere, piles of trash in the backyard, piles of junk in the backyard... you get the idea.

While the house was clean in a matter of weeks, the yard is still an ongoing process. There's a plastic shed sitting out there that's probably between 4-5 ft long on each side, it has double doors, and it's made of very sturdy plastic. I thought I could save myself about $400 and convert it to a chicken coop, but it would require several things. Here is what I would have to do, and I'm looking for feedback on whether this is a good idea or not, as it would save me quite a bit of money and allow me to get my chickens probably a year earlier.

Ventilation: We would have to cut a hole (maybe several) in the shed to allow for ventilation. My Mom suggested we use an old round grill piece we found, and while it may look trashy, I figured it would be better than letting a hawk gnaw through weak chicken wire.

Poop door: We would have to cut a tiny door out of it for chickens to go back and forth, so the double doors can remain closed when needed.

Chicken Run: We don't have a chicken run, sadly, but we do have a fenced in dog lot big enough for one dog. We will either have to move the shed into the lot (taking up most of the room) or cut a hole in the fence and somehow attach it to the shed so nothing can get in. Oh, and we'd have to put some kind of roof on it to keep predators out. I'd also like very much to range my chickens, but I will have to do it very carefully, there are loose dogs all over the neighborhood and we're out in the country, so there are probably plenty of predators! (If you have any advice on this, I'm all ears!)

Roosts: I know they need places to perch, no idea what I'm going to do there. There's a shelf in the shed, a small plastic one, I figured we could put a couple nesting boxes on that and leave the rest open for them to roost on. Good idea? Bad Idea?

Nesting Boxes: Like I said, the shelves. We were going to buy some plastic tubs and nail a little bit of wood to the front to keep bedding in, and either nail or glue them to the shelves. If we want to clean them, we can carry the entire plastic shelf out of the shed.

Protection: We would have to install some kind of bolt on the double doors so that they are safe from predators and so that the chickens can stay in at night.

I'm thinking this shed costed our cousin at least a couple hundred dollars, but probably closer to $400, though she said it was a waste of money and a pretty worthless shed. It seems pretty sturdy to me, maybe it just wasn't big enough for her? Who knows.

I will have some pictures tomorrow, but like I said, it's a square shed made of sturdy plastic with double doors. It's 4-5 feet long on each side, and my plan is to put some nesting boxes on shelves in there.

Would love to see some pictures. Does your shed have a floor? My coop was made to be on the ground but we raised it onto 18" cement blocks and then I used 1/4" hardware wire to make it predator free. I've got pictures of my coop on here that shows my set up.

Would love to see some pictures. Does your shed have a floor? My coop was made to be on the ground but we raised it onto 18" cement blocks and then I used 1/4" hardware wire to make it predator free. I've got pictures of my coop on here that shows my set up.

Yes, it has a floor. The whole shed looks pretty sturdy, but I won't actually know -how- sturdy it is until we clean the trash out of it and try to move it.

if the run has a gate cant you attach it to the front using 3 pieces of it and the last for the roof? then you can walk into the run before you open the shed and prevent the birds from getting out ?

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by that, but I will also post pictures of the fenced in dog lot so you all get an idea of what I'm trying to do. I honestly don't know if it will work, but I can't really buy a coop right now and I'm afraid to try and build one, I've never built anything in my life.

Yes, it has a floor. The whole shed looks pretty sturdy, but I won't actually know -how- sturdy it is until we clean the trash out of it and try to move it.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by that, but I will also post pictures of the fenced in dog lot so you all get an idea of what I'm trying to do. I honestly don't know if it will work, but I can't really buy a coop right now and I'm afraid to try and build one, I've never built anything in my life.
your not the first person today that cant understand my rambling. i was thinking u had a dog kennel. the ones with chain link fence and they are in 4 pieces

Alright, here are the pictures I promised you guys! First, the dog lot we want to use for the chickens. Should we cut all that crap inside down or leave it to the chickens to take care of? I just assumed we'd have to cut it down. I think the lot might be... like... maybe 10 feet long on each side? That's a wild estimation, but it's pretty large. It would be their regular run, and we'd find some kind of roof to put over it to keep predators out and chickens in, because the fence isn't very tall. It's cemented in, so no animals would be able to dig under it.

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040131L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040141L1386195688373619

Here is the outside of the shed. The guy who lived here even spray painted his name on the side, as you can see. Like I said, it's probably between 4-5 long on each side, but I'm thinking closer to 4 feet.

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040081L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040111L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040121L1386195688373619

Here's the inside. There are windows on the roof that provide light (not enough in my opinion) but no ventilation, which I'll have to fix. The bar on the roof looks like it MIGHT be able to hold a feeder, waterer, and a heat lamp. You'll also notice there's a small plastic shelf in the shed, it's one of two that we have. I figured we would put nesting boxes in the shelf and just move the shelf out when we want to clean the shed.

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040071L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040091L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040021L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040031L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040041L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040051L1386195688373619
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040061L1386195688373619

Also, I just realized today that the doors on the shed are broken. Well, the one on the right side is crooked and they won't shut right. If we can't fix them, we'll have to put plywood over them. My Mom suggested we do this anyway, so we can cut a hole in the bottom for the chickens to get into the run. So we might just replace one of the doors with plywood anyway.

What do you think? Can I make a chicken coop out of this? Also, I'm sorry the images aren't embedded, couldn't figure out how to do it with forum codes, and it would take forever to insert each image.

When I set up my coop, I just wired a long branch to the roof of it. The branch is about an inch and a half to two inches across and they love it. If you can't hang it, you could set up two Y-shaped stands and hang a branch between them.

boy, he was pretty rough huh? it looks repairable though. and i assume paintable. lol im not sure about that fence though, if you had the heavy breed of chickens they might stay in and i would clean the brush out of there. by the looks of things, anything could be in there to hurt the chickens or even yourself. i do think you can extend the height of the fence in some way.possibly take the cap posts off the fence and add something with extra bird netting or chicken wire and zip tie it like 2 by 2s or whatever would fit in the hole

boy, he was pretty rough huh? it looks repairable though. and i assume paintable. lol im not sure about that fence though, if you had the heavy breed of chickens they might stay in and i would clean the brush out of there. by the looks of things, anything could be in there to hurt the chickens or even yourself. i do think you can extend the height of the fence in some way.possibly take the cap posts off the fence and add something with extra bird netting or chicken wire and zip tie it like 2 by 2s or whatever would fit in the hole

We're going to buy some chicken wire and hopefully we'll have enough money to buy a lot so we can coat either the inside or outside of the fence in it, I heard that chickens should not be kept in a run with holes wider than an inch. We could probably raise the height with more chicken wire and then use more chicken wire for a roof. Honestly I'm not quite sure what we're going to do, but the roof, whatever it's going to be, definitely needs to be higher so we can stand up when we go in.

We're going to move the shed against the fence in such a way that one door of the shed is connected to the fence, that way we can go in the shed without going in the fence. It probably doesn't make much sense -my Mom had to draw a diagram, it was her idea- but it'll turn out pretty nice if we can set it up. We'll have to ruin the fence though, by cutting a hole in it and attaching it (somehow) to the shed where the chicken door is going to be.

The whole thing will be pretty rigged, and probably a few years down the road I'll have to buy or build an actual coop, but it's a start in my opinion.

it will work. good luck
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom