Sick 6-7 week old chicks. Please help

nikkinewlin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I introduced a new chick to my flock of babies about a week ago. She seemed healthy and wasn't showing any signs of illness before I placed her in with the others. But days after she was introduced all my babies got sick. (there are 4) All with in 2 weeks of age to one another.

They have pasty buts
Their eyes are crusty, and sometimes stuck shut
They have discharge coming out of there noses.

They had been on medicated feed for about a week after I got them.(I have had them for almost 3 weeks now) Then I gradually switched them to non medicated start and grow.
They had been out side on shavings, in a non drafty shed with a heat lamp, now they are inside so I can keep a closer eye on them.
They are kept dry, I had to wash one's vent area off, but I towel dried her and cuddled her until she was entirely dry.
So far I have added electrolytes and vitamins to there water.
And I use a q tip with warm water, and gently rub there eyes with it when they are stuck shut, so they can open them and see to eat.
They seem to be eating and drinking just fine. But I am not sure what else I can do for them.

Do you guys have any advice on how to treat/what products are safe for young birds ect? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I just had a respiratory issue with one of my older birds. (Pulled her threw it) Im not sure if this is related or not. I am just having a heck of a time right now with my flock :(

I have vet rx on hand but I am not sure if this is safe to treat young birds with. Do you guys have any experience using this product with babies?

Get them all on SuperBoost - 1/2 tsp to 1.5 l of water for 3 days straight and watch them. Replace the SuperBoost water every 24 hrs with fresh, it only lasts for 24 hrs and is safe for the whole flock and your older birds. Neosporine to wash their eyes and Tylan 50 for infection. Let us know what happens.

I have vet rx on hand but I am not sure if this is safe to treat young birds with. Do you guys have any experience using this product with babies?
Yes I have used Vet RX on chicks, mix it in warm water and then use a q-tip and dab it under their wings and on their feet (they will keep breathing it in) and then I try to put a soaked q-tip up to their beak. I hold it up to their beak until they act like they got a drop and they drink it back.

However, it sounds like you have a more severe case so you may need something stronger. Vet RX is natural and safe for chicks, it's a combination of natural oils (oregano, camphor, rosemary..) but it wont treat an infection. It is basically like Vicks for humans, it helps them breathe better but doesnt treat the cause.

What color is the discharge? pics?
can you listen to their chest? what does the breathing sound like? smooth/normal or rattly or watery?

Last edited:
Not sure on the amounts to give for Tylan for your birds, Read the label and estimate from there, usually the instructions are quite accurate. Its sure to use all these products as they are made for the birds.

thank you for your reply!
There breathing does not sound labored or rattily at all.
I didn't want to treat with just Vetrx but I figured since I had it on hand it may help.
I will try to get some pics posted tomorrow.
The discharge from there nostrils is clear.
around there eyes was a white crusty color. It hasn't come back since I used warm water on a q tip to wipe it away.
What antibiotic would you suggest to treat with?

Ok, white and clear is better than yellow!

Personally I do not use anti-biotics unless I feel it is a very very extreme case, in my flock or in my family. Some people throw AB's at everything. It is all up to you and how you prefer to treat your flock. Use your own judgement and go with what you think is best. There are suggestions for antibiotics in the posts above mine ^

BTW, VetRX says on the bottle to apply 3 or 4x? per day, I think. So maybe do that for a day and see if anything changes. I would also get them on sav-a-chick ASAP. You can combine the electrolyte packet and the pro-biotic packet in 1 gallon of water, then refrigerate and give them a dish full or however you water them. someone else recommended superBoost, it might be the same thing I'm not sure. Fresh raw garlic is a natural immune system stimulator.

Last edited:
SuperBoost does the same as Sav-a-chick. Its a combination of general ab, plus vitamins and minerals. Its saved my ailing birds more than once.

Update- I tried vinegar and garlic as well as vet rx and electrolytes. I have been treating their eyes with Neosporin. They did not show signs of improvement, and they stopped eating and drinking. so I started them on Tylan 50 last night. This morning they are eating and drinking again. Fingers crossed.

I am unsure why but I haven't had to much luck with chicks eating straight
Medicated chick feed so I have always mixed it with chick starter to get
the little ones to munch down .... Here try this ..
1. Hard boiled egg mashed up real good then serve
smile.png

2. Sugar in water just a little for 3 days to get them moving
love.gif

3. Wash bottom with a gentle soap
clap.gif
and dry

4 . Have you used Probiotic in the water yet ????

gander007
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom