rooster collars??

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
Someone posted about using a constrictive collar to reduce crowing/volume. Does anyone know about these or were I might find one?

Thanks

pop.gif
interesting. Sorry I'm of ZERO help. Just curious as to what others have to say.

I have a decrowed roo and am very happy with the procedure. I want to get another roo but don't want to waste money on a mean one. I figured a collar would let give me more time to asses personality and still keep it quiet.

I know the person that makes those collars posted a link to a Facebook page for them, I'll see if I can find it.
Their name on here is GrandRapidsGirl and this was the post...
Hey guys. In case anyone is still wondering about my Rooster Collars feel free to check out my page www.Facebook.com/RoosterCollars

Insanity, just because I'm curious, how was your roo decrowed? Does it still act normally? Is love to hear more.

Last edited:
I used to work for a Vet who would o it. He used tissue glue down thru the open mouth of an anesthetized bird. You have to VERY careful where it goes, because you could glue the esophagus closed. He always made sure the owners knew the risks and that results were not guaranteed. Sometimes there was no effect, sometims partial and sometimes great.

Insanity, just because I'm curious, how was your roo decrowed? Does it still act normally? Is love to hear more.
Daryl my Splash bantam roo behaves normally except it does annoy him when the girls "don't listen". His air alarm call for birds of prey is to quiet so the girls ignore him.Also I can see him calling them over when I feed treats but no noise at all. After six months with Daryl I am quite happy with him.
He was altered by Dr.James (Bluedogsonly on BYC) out of Oklahoma. I believe they cut the voice box to lessen the volume. He can explain it better. Here is the his web page.

http://quietroosters.wordpress.com/

I was wonder about the collars because I want to start a SFH flock and shipping a particular breed of bird to Dr James to have it done cost more than I'm willing to pay.(close to $500 with vet checks and shipping both ways) Daryl was one he had already done and was selling and was only $200. I probably will get an EE from him in the spring as a backup just in case.

Daryl my Splash bantam roo behaves normally except it does annoy him when the girls "don't listen". His air alarm call for birds of prey is to quiet so the girls ignore him.Also I can see him calling them over when I feed treats but no noise at all. After six months with Daryl I am quite happy with him.
He was altered by Dr.James (Bluedogsonly on BYC) out of Oklahoma. I believe they cut the voice box to lessen the volume. He can explain it better. Here is the his web page.

http://quietroosters.wordpress.com/

I was wonder about the collars because I want to start a SFH flock and shipping a particular breed of bird to Dr James to have it done cost more than I'm willing to pay.(close to $500 with vet checks and shipping both ways) Daryl was one he had already done and was selling and was only $200. I probably will get an EE from him in the spring as a backup just in case.
Actually, chickens don't have a voice box, and glue is not used at all in the procedure. I asked my vet about it because I have mostly roosters as I run a rescue and they are no longer allowed in the city of New Orleans. My vet, Dr. Gregory Rich, is very well known and he explained the procedure to me and told me he would not perform it. The chicken is put under anesthesia and formaldehyde is dripped into the bird's throat and it BURNS the vocal cords, in turn damaging them permanently. It's a very risky and inhumane procedure, as it does interfere with the roosters ability to communicate normally with his flock.

I am going to order a few of the no crow collars and try them out on my boys.

Actually, chickens don't have a voice box, and glue is not used at all in the procedure. I asked my vet about it because I have mostly roosters as I run a rescue and they are no longer allowed in the city of New Orleans. My vet, Dr. Gregory Rich, is very well known and he explained the procedure to me and told me he would not perform it. The chicken is put under anesthesia and formaldehyde is dripped into the bird's throat and it BURNS the vocal cords, in turn damaging them permanently. It's a very risky and inhumane procedure, as it does interfere with the roosters ability to communicate normally with his flock.

I am going to order a few of the no crow collars and try them out on my boys.
I never said a thing about super glue and Dr James does not use formaldehyde. His procedure is very humane.
This is copied direct from his site.

I will briefly describe the anatomy, sound production, the procedure itself, after care and the desired results.

Anatomy-In birds, the syrinx, or voice box is located within the chest. It is represented above with the red arrows. The syrinx is a small, flexible piece of the trachea. It does not have the cartilage rings found throughout the trachea. All of this is contained within the clavicular air sac. Birds have many air sacs that help lighten the bird and serve as storage for air. It is possible for birds to exchange air through any of these air sacs. If you would like a more in-depth explanation on bird respiration, follow the link. The yellow triangle is the beak and the pink ovals represents the lungs.
Procedure- The rooster is anesthetized using injectable drugs. Gas anesthesia cannot be used because the surgery is taking place within the respiratory system. Anesthesia is one of the risks of this procedure, as it is with any other surgery.
The area around the thoracic inlet (where the neck joins the body) is plucked and a small incision is made. Then the clavicular air sac is entered, exposing the trachea, heart, lungs etc within the chest.
The syrinx is entered and the split is created. I have built some very specific instrument to create the opening in syrinx that have increased the success of the surgery substantially.
The skin is closed with 2-3 small, dissolvable stitches and a piece of gauze is stitch over the now closed incision.
Desired Results- The goal of this procedure is to leave a permanent opening in either side of the syrinx to allow the air to pass into the air sac. This does not seem to cause any pain or discomfort to the rooster. The rooster still crows, cackles, fights, mates etc. I feel that if it was painful, the rooster would not try to crow. This does not seem to really impact his life except he is just quieter. I believe that young, pre-crowing roosters have a higher success rate because they have less inflammation to the syrinx which may lead to scar tissue build up. That is why it is recommended to try and reduce the amount of crowing post surgery.

It is a surgery performed on thousands of dogs every year. PETA would have fits over the methods you suggested.

Also I got my collars in the mail yesterday. the design seems simple enough. As soon as one of my little roos starts crowing I'll post on how well they work

Back
Top Bottom